Menu
sassenach77
Settling in
Message 31 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Local News

This hasn't really been an issue until today..... I was involved in something that was shown on "BBC Points West" BUT we get "BBC South Today"

We live near Salisbury so can see that we're in the middle for West or South but having missed a once in a life time opportunity it's become obvious that we get news for places too far away from us.

0 Kudos
triumpht595
Joining in
Message 32 of 72
Flag for a moderator

just spoke to virgin about wrong region . nothing they can do . they really didnt care that they sell a substandard product. im off to sky despite being with virgin for over 15 years. bad service i think 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 33 of 72
Flag for a moderator

@triumpht595 wrote:

just spoke to virgin about wrong region . nothing they can do . they really didnt care that they sell a substandard product. im off to sky despite being with virgin for over 15 years. bad service i think 

They do care, but they are not going to spend millions rebuilding a network that a government body bodged up years ago. All regional programmes are available nationally through the BBC's iPlayer app on the TiVO.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Smcmanus
Just joined
Message 34 of 72
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem.  Had Virgin Media installed on Just five days ago and cannot get local news on either Itv or BBC.   it took me over two hours to finally speak to someone last night who told me it is as it is and there is nothing that can be done.   I don't want to see another regions news.   It's infuriating.   I still have time to cancel my contract and am seriously considering doing so

0 Kudos
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 35 of 72
Flag for a moderator

I get BBC1 South East but London for ITV. How does that make sense? I live in Chatham, so, well away from the London region. Our ITV+1 should be for Meridian like BBC. It's so stupid. BBC and ITV should be either London on both or Meridian/SE on both. Someone at Virgin has no common sense.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 36 of 72
Flag for a moderator

@seaniepie wrote:

I get BBC1 South East but London for ITV. How does that make sense? I live in Chatham, so, well away from the London region. Our ITV+1 should be for Meridian like BBC. It's so stupid. BBC and ITV should be either London on both or Meridian/SE on both. Someone at Virgin has no common sense.

As I have said earlier in this thread, it is the Government department responsible for carving up the country into cable franchise areas that is to blame for the regions being up the creek. Virgin have just inherited the system & have to use it as best they can. Most of Northern Kent is part of the London network, but you should find some local South East content on 858 for BBC1 & 870 or 871 for ITV1. Your ITV HD & +1 services will be London as the legacy additional region feeds were put in years before HD & +1 services existed.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 37 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Does that mean to say then that no one has the power to change it? Virgin, who have taken on the system, have no vested interest in its users to bring about change. Is this the future of Virgin, powerless?

Having worked in TV for over 20yrs has shown me that almost all is possible with a bit of effort. With a bit of effort, someone could get a feed in (satellite, whatever) and 're-carve' up the regions into smaller areas that can be managed better. Being someone who Unders how networks work, it really can't be that difficult with even the smallest of efforts. Just because you've been handed a lemon doesn't mean you can't do something to bring about change, trust me. Or are Virgin a bunch of quitters? If I were Branson or whoever has ownership of VirginMedia I'd be darned well sure I was providing the BEST service for my clients/customers/friends as they are the ones who pay my bills and keep me in my mansions. I wonder what Branson would have to say about this quitters attitude? You make even NowTV sound so much better - good job!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 38 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Regional programmes account for less than 2 hours a day now. All regional programmes are available live via the iPlayer from anywhere. Why should VM ramp up their costs to provide for something easily available by other means.

Richard Branson no longer owns VM. It is now owned by the american media giant Liberty Global.

fallauk
Joining in
Message 39 of 72
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue with a recently installed V6 box. No issues with the Tivo it replaced. Was told to turn off an don again.. We do this every day - still wrong. Is there a setting we can change on the box ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 40 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi fallauk,

Thanks for posting.

I'll just need to know what channel number this is?

HD channels may not be regional so unfortunately we wouldn't be able to change this.

If it's SD and giving the incorrect region then I'll need to look into this for you so please let me know.

I have also added our latest TV Guide here so you can see what channels should be available to you.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos