Menu
Highlighted
sunderam
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin overcharging, not listening, absolutely useless

September 2018, AT VIRGIN'S SUGGESTION, I terminated my contract at my property in order for new tenant to use their much more expensive Virgin offering. 

Despite the termination, Virgin continued to charge me for 2 months. I contacted them several times and was assured of a refund.

This did not happen. 

I sent a formal complaint and I was promised a response within a week. 

I have not heard anything for over a month. 

I was then sent a box to return equipment. We packed and returned the equipment, photographed the return and receipt. Today I have been charged a further £135 for equipment.

I had a call from a department who wanted to persuade me not to 'disconnect' my service. I explained for about the 50th time that I terminated by service so that a higher-value Virgin account to take its place at my property. 

Virgin is apparently appealing an Ofcom fine  for that it describes as "Virgin Media mistakenly overcharged 1.5% of its 5.5 million cable customers.  This clearly should not have happened and we have taken a number of steps to make sure that it does not happen again.  We carried out a full review of our systems and processes, which included introducing a new automated ETC calculator for our Customer Care Agents as soon as we could.  We have also improved customer communications, updated our website and made our policy easier to understand."

Clearly I should not have been charged for 2 months post termination. Clearly I should not have been charged for equipment that i have returned. Clearly I should not have received a bill today for a monthly charge on a closed account. 

There have been no improved customer communications, no systems and processes which have helped my case, and I think the fine is more than justified. Virgin, you are truly the most useless company I have come across. Refund the overcharges, refund the money taken for equipment you have had back, do give me the £50 promised for introduction. You currently owe me £243 and are asking for more for a disconnected account? Shamefully bad service. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin overcharging, not listening, absolutely useless

Hello sunderam

Thanks for your post 

Sorry to hear about the issues you have had cancelling this account 

I can see that you have now had this resolved 

Can I help with anything else at all?

Regards

Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
sunderam
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

This has not been resolved.

1. The first month I was charged 2 months (one in advance). I was told when I called in September 2018 that one month would be refunded.

2. I was charged for November 2018. So was my new tenant. So Virgin charged 2 separate accounts in one premises. Despite having suggested the higher rate tariff for the property (i.e. asking me to cancel mine), and despite acknowledging on the phone its impossible to have 2 accounts at one premises. This is one for Ofcom it seems. Unethical and bizarre.

0 Kudos
sunderam
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So to update on this saga.

We are reporting both cases to Ofcom.

Virgin has not responded to my queries. Things are not resolved. Virgin is trying to send me a cheque, despite the fact that I live overseas. Virgin charged myself and my tenants at the same premises for services and refused to refund them.ts not possible to run 2 TV's 2 internet facilities from one flat Virgin acknowledged they made an error in indicating a further £78 of refund, and have said they wont rectify as their staff made a mistake, for which I must pay. 

Then today I also got this from a friend:-

"Your Virgin referral...Painful from the start and now they have cancelled my 12 month non-cancellable contract, without even advising me pre or post cancellation...

Chat Transcript
Info: Hi there, a Virgin Media expert will be with you shortly. All transcripts are held on a secure database for up to 13 months. Thank you.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 19 minutes and 25 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 12 minutes and 54 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 10 minutes and 33 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 9 minutes and 1 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 5 minutes and 19 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 3 minutes and 40 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 2 minutes and 41 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: All agents are currently assisting others. Your estimated wait time is 1 minutes and 1 seconds.  Thank you for your patience.
Info: Hi, thanks for contacting us today...I'll be with you in a few moments

Charles: it's already been 30 mins so far on this "recommended chat".....
Rencilin:
I see that the services are disconnected

Charles: Why?
Rencilin:
Sorry about that Charles , I do agree it is taking quite along time

Rencilin:
Charles , I see that it was requested by SX S to cancel the account

Charles: Who is SX S and when was this requested?
Rencilin:
I am not sure Charles but it was requested on the 21st of Jan

Charles: So what happened to my contract?
Charles: Hello/
Rencilin:
Charles , I see that there was no contract , and you were on the rolling contract

Charles: I signed a contract with Virgin in August. I have the paperwork. It was a 1 yr contract.
Rencilin:
Sorry to hear that Charles , but I can I see that there is no charge for the disconnection , I would request you to speak to the cancellation team since they've placed the cancellation on your account , they would be able to tell you who has cancelled it without your knowledge

Charles: Contract No: XXXX signed on XXX 2018
Charles: I'm afraid I'm not going to waste more of my life trying to get hold of someone else from Virgin.
Rencilin:
Thank you for confirming Charles , Since I am from customer services I do not have an option to check why it was cancelled , but the cancellation team can surely help you on this

Charles: What I want to know categorically and unequivocally from you is that: 1. There are no fees for cancellation.
Charles: 2. There are no additional fees or payments to be made to Virgin on this contract or account.
Charles: 3. I want an official letter in writing from Virgin to my eMail address confirming the above.
Charles: 4. An apology from Virgin for the misrepresentation of their marketing. From the beginning this has been a very painful experience - installation / billing and now the nail in the coffin. Unilateral cancellation of a mutually binding contract.
Charles: Rencilin - frankly I don't care where you are from. I'm trying to sort this mess out from Rwanda in Africa.
Charles: I'm contacting VIRGIN
Charles: You are virgin.
Charles: therefore you can help@
Charles: Your contract (Virgin) stated clearly that it was non-cancellable for 12 months. Therefore why / how was it terminated without consultation?
Rencilin:
Charles , I am so sorry , I do understand your situation but the information that you require can be processed only by the cancellation team , because customer services do not have an option send those , i will provide you the direct number to contact the cancellations team , and they'll help you out

Charles: I have been responding to eM's and paying my bills. Therefore, it can't be stated that I was incommunicardo.
Charles: I don't want a number to call and wait for hours on an expensive international line.
Charles: I had the same experience when I was waiting for the installation and used up all my bundle.
Rencilin:
I will call you and get the line connected , will that help ?

Charles: You might not be able to assist, but you can connect me.
Charles: yes. that would be useful. I do not want to use my money sorting out your problem

Rencilin: Charles , I would have assisted you if your query was related to bills and payments , since it is related to cancellations , only the cancellation team can help you , I am so sorry , I am not trying to rude

Charles: So connect me with the cancellation team or someone who can assist.
Charles: My number was input at the top of this conversation
Charles: 0025XXXXX
Rencilin:
Sure Charles , thank you , give me 2 minutes please

Charles: 6 mins so far....
Rencilin:
Charles , I am trying to connect it but it's not getting connected to you ,i am so sorry

Charles: You can try 0026XXXX
Rencilin:
Sure , thanks

Rencilin:
Charles , since it is international number , it is not getting connected , I am so sorry

Charles: Well where did you think Rwanda in Africa is?
Charles: Clearly it's not Rwanda in Basingstoke
Rencilin:
I am sorry Charles ,I just gave a try , since you were not happy

Charles: What does that mean? I give it a try?
Charles: The virgin brand is simply not living up to even a modicum of reputation.
Charles: What is your response to the points I made re letter from Virgin confirming the various issues?
Rencilin:
Charles , i would request you to call us please

Charles: I am UNABLE TO CALL YOU FROM RWANDA and use my talk time / bundle
Rencilin:
Those will be sent only by the cancellations team Charles

Charles: YOU are a big global telecom company and can surely extend to being able to make a call to me?
Rencilin:
Charles , we do not have an option to call international numbers , I am sorry

Charles: How do I know that the cancellation team will send these? They've not contacted me to advise that they were going to or indeed had cancelled.
Rencilin:
Charles , the only option is to contact them for further , I am sorry

Charles: This is one of the most derisory services I've received from what purports to be such a customer focused organization. I do not accept your apology and I will not be contacting them. Pls give me a direct eMail address for them.
Charles: I also want to know that my credit rating has not been impacted by the cancellation of this contract, as this was a threat in your billing statements.
Charles: I want that confirmation in writing too.
Rencilin:
Charles , we do not have an email address for the cancellation team

Rencilin:
You can send it through post

Charles: I do not believe you.
Rencilin:
Virgin Media
Matrix Court
swansea
sa79bb

Charles: I will not send a physical letter to a media tech company
Charles: How ridiculous is that!?
Rencilin:
That's the only option Charles , I am sorry

Charles: That's an unacceptable option. Pls get your supervisor into this conversation.
Info: The chat transcript will be sent to: XXXX the end of your chat.
Charles: I've actually managed to get hold of this SX S. She is one of my tenants. She confirms that she did speak to Virgin, but was told by Virgin that as she was not the contracted party that Virgin would not be able to discuss this account with her. There was no further discussion.
Charles: This therefore means that Virgin have cancelled this contract unilaterally.
Rencilin:
I do understand your the situation Charles , but the only option to resolve this is with the cancellations team

Charles: I got that! But I have no way of contacting them from Rwanda. I am not prepared to spend my money on phoning them. Or going through the highly improbable process of sending a letter in C21st to Virgin Media in Wales to ask them to call me. And you are refusing to disclose a more practical channel to communicate, even via eMail.
Rencilin:
Charles , these chats are saved , why will I hesitate to give the email address if it was there

Charles: You're not addressing my point. You keep repeating yourself and your constant use of my name is condescending. It's just pumping out what the manual tells you to do in situations that you aren't able to think for yourself.
Charles: Please give me an eMail address of someone who can give me the eMail address of someone who deals with cancellations or indeed can actually provide some customer service.

Rencilin: If I have an option to provide you the information that you've asked for , I would have happily processed it and sent it to you via email or by post , since we do not have option , you've to contact the customer relations team
Rencilin:
Thank you Charles , I will take it as a feedback and work on it ☺

Charles: Why don't you have this option? Are you now trying to tell me that you can't put me in touch with Virgin Customer Service?
Rencilin: I am from customer service team

Charles: You've been telling me that you are just billing. I have a complaint. It's about my account.
Charles: Or lack of.
Charles: I have to say that you've worn me down. Virgin wins. **bleep** service
Info: The chat transcript will be sent to: xxxxxxx at the end of your chat.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

'We are reporting both cases to Ofcom'

they will not be interested and do not deal with individuals.

you follow the complaints procedure then the ombudsman.

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practi...

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/
0 Kudos
sunderam
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

I instituted a formal complaint with Virgin but have not heard back as yet...

0 Kudos