Menu
Photogold
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are misleading customers buying Sky Sports channels

Yesterday I took out a subscription to Sky Sports from Virgin . I assumed the channel was HD because no-one wants SD channels nowadays and I was not to told the channel I got was standard defintition . Today I wanted to watch the Spurs match in HD but I can’t because the channel is standard definition . What a con . 

Virgin have got my money by fraud . No-one told me the channel was SD . Now they are saying I can get HD if I pay an extra £7 a month , which makes it more expensive than a Nowtv subscription. This is a total con . I spoke to customer services and every time I started speaking she interrupted me . Totally ignorant . Then when I asked to speak to her manager the line went dead

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin are misleading customers buying Sky Sports channels

Try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 (or 0800 9528046) - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open Monday – Friday, 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. – [08.01 is best!]) you usually get a UK call centre (it could still be a 30’+ wait though) who will be more understanding and helpful and can sort something for you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Cueball99
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It's got nothing to do with Virgin, that's the way sky force them to sell it.

cranforduk
Dialled in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If you do ring retensions to see if you can do a  deal on having Sky Sports HD is worth knowing that from last October Sky themselves increase the price of Sports  by just £2 and only offer Sports in HD, ie their customer no longer have a choice even if they only have a SD TV.  Existing Sky Sports customers paying £6 for the HD option will see the price drop by £4.

It will be interesting to see whether Sky force VM to supply Sports in HD only and how much it will costs.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Photogold wrote:

Yesterday I took out a subscription to Sky Sports from Virgin . I assumed the channel was HD because no-one wants SD channels nowadays and I was not to told the channel I got was standard defintition . Today I wanted to watch the Spurs match in HD but I can’t because the channel is standard definition . What a con . 

Virgin have got my money by fraud . No-one told me the channel was SD . Now they are saying I can get HD if I pay an extra £7 a month , which makes it more expensive than a Nowtv subscription. This is a total con . I spoke to customer services and every time I started speaking she interrupted me . Totally ignorant . Then when I asked to speak to her manager the line went dead

You won't like me saying this, but I'm going to pick certain points out to illustrate a point. "I assumed", "No-one told me". As much as I disagree with Sky's business approach here, I'm not seeing evidence of Virgin misrepresenting what you have bought. You assumed, and therefore didn't ask. You didn't ask Virgin, and maybe they should have checked, maybe they shoudn't.

If you check all of Virgin's marketing material where Sky Premiums (sports & cinema) are concerned, you will see some very careful wording - to cover precisely this point.

I may not agree with how Sky structure their channel pricing, but your argument is with them more than it's with Virgin. There's a few ways this whole theory could spin, but I don't see it as a Virgin "con" by any stretch. And as for no-one wanting SD these days, you didn't read the almighty fuss when BBC2 SD & HD were swapped around, did you? :-)

Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't Now TV broadcast its HD content at 720p? It's not the same as VM's 1080i.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Doesn't Now TV broadcast its HD content at 720p? It's not the same as VM's 1080i.

I'm pretty sure that's right. But as if to illustrate the point, I can't find anywhere obvious on their website where HD/SD let alone picture resolution is even mentioned.

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-sports-online refers to 11 channels, and there's an FAQ somewhere about streaming being at 720p, but they're very coy otherwise.

I could be cynical and say they're conning people, but perhaps it's better to just remind myself that NowTV are aiming at the "drop in but don't stay for long" market where Sky Sports are concerned.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Photogold

Thanks for messaging us today. 

Please give our customer relations team a call on 0345 454 1111 options 1,4,5 so that this can be looked in too. 

Have you been able to get this resolved? 

Kind Regards 

Chris 

0 Kudos
praxis
Rising star
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's right. But as if to illustrate the point, I can't find anywhere obvious on their website where HD/SD let alone picture resolution is even mentioned.

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-sports-online refers to 11 channels, and there's an FAQ somewhere about streaming being at 720p, but they're very coy otherwise.

I could be cynical and say they're conning people, but perhaps it's better to just remind myself that NowTV are aiming at the "drop in but don't stay for long" market where Sky Sports are concerned.

I recently started using NowTv as far as know they do broadcast in 720p I’m only using there Entertainment package so I cannot say what Sky Sports would look like with fast motion sports like football and F1 but box sets and Live channels are ok they are a bit grainy for the first 10 seconds and then it clears up as far as I know they are broadcast at 4.8mbps. The price on there web site can be beat if you search on EBay and Amazon an Entertainment month pass from NowTv costs £7.99 on EBay I got 2 months for £8.75 and the good thing about them is you can get a day,week or month pass with no contract restrictions.On there Sports pass you get access to all channels might be an option for the original OP.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

HD/SD is all a bit confused. Sky Cinema is SD and HD by default.  BT Sport is only HD/4K now (No SD is a drag as it takes a lot of space to record).  Premier Sports 1 is HD only and Premier Sports 2 SD only!  Freesports only HD and Eurosport HD and SD.  Sometimes there is a simulcast on Sky One/Sports Mix so you get the sport in HD (assuming you have the right package).  Sky Sports Racing is only SD even if you pay the £7.month though that is academic at present.

I would have thought that at the end of the second decade of the 21st Century, HD would be standard on all sports channels rather than the piecemeal patchwork it currently is where the customer has to be aware of every variation.

0 Kudos