Menu
Highlighted
Hobbes1218
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV for older people

Hi, just a thought for Virgin. My mother who is 94 has recently had to upgrade her TV box. It is very complex for her as you can imagine. She is doing OK but quite a few menu options confuse her. For example she goes into MyShows but can end up in 'Suggestions'. She then tries to delete all the rubbish in there. Can Virgin not offer a way of tailoring the menu so you can turn off these menu options for older people? Have a menu that older people can use more easily. She also goes into MyShows but doesn't stay on ALL. Then she gets confused as why some of her recordings don't show. It would be nice if I could make ALL the only option. I know 94 is extreme but the menu options must be confusing for so many older people. Try and improve Virgin. + have an option to increase the size of the guide text - it is far too small.

Chris

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin TV for older people

Hi the only thing I can suggest is the next time you are visiting you can turn surrgestions off in the settings menu, go to Home then help and settings press OK then settings, recordings, surrgestions, and set to off, as for the other issues I am afraid you are at mercy of virgin.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh dear!

This thread is actually the reverse of many we get on here now complaining the TiVO UI is outdated & should do even more things.

With the Horizon 4 UI in the pipeline for VM TiVOs in the near future (Voice controlled remote, fluid viewing) it will only get worse I'm afraid.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First you should do what LittleMick73 says above to disable Suggestions.

Then go to My Shows,  Press the Green button for Options, scroll down  to Left Column, press right or OK and then selected Hide Left Column.

This will get rid of all those extra categories on the left of the My Shows screen.

0 Kudos
Hobbes1218
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks folks, I didn't know I could turn some of these off. I'll certainly do this when I see her tomorrow.

As people are getting older a simple menu option and larger text would be wonderful.

Chris

0 Kudos
Hobbes1218
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd. Do you know when this change will come in? If it is the next year or two I might just get her to use Freeview as it will be too much for her.

Chris

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Hobbes1218 wrote:

Thanks nodrogd. Do you know when this change will come in? If it is the next year or two I might just get her to use Freeview as it will be too much for her.

Chris

Liberty Global, Virgin’s parent company, are saying it will be rolled out later this year. Virgin themselves have yet to say anything on the subject, so your guess is as good as mine.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Hobbes1218
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help folks. Mum just called me and said she can find her shows tonight. Your advice has made an old lady very happy.

I should have done this myself but I missed the option to turn off the side bar on recordings when I looked at settings a few days ago.

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Settings are easily missed. Glad to hear it has improved things.