Menu
japitts
Super solver
Message 21 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM removes SD versions of BBC channels

@kevino81 wrote:

Well done Virgin.

Keep pulling the SD channels and soon they will be a thing of the past.    No need for them these days.

Whilst I would agree with your sentiments, all the focus thus far has been on the BBC channels, with the FTA ITV/C4/C5 presumably next in-line once regionality issues on ITV have been sorted.

Once you start looking at the pay channels, there's a whole commercial can of worms that gets opened up where the SD channel is in one TV-pack, and HD is in another (usually Full House). Heck, there's even a few FTA channels where the HD variant is Full-House only (More4 a case in point)

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The majority of channels are SD. VM isn't going to shoot itself in the foot by pulling them.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The majority of channels are SD. VM isn't going to shoot itself in the foot by pulling them.

It’s all money driven. The BBC trust has been tasked to save money. They can’t remove SD from satellite or Freeview due to the number of SD only boxes/TVs still in use, but VM has removed these now so was the obvious first move. Assumedy the other PSB channels will follow, as advertising revenue is not what it was.

Other channels that simulcast in SD & HD may also look for savings in the long run, but may choose to switch off SD on all platforms together. Then you have the lower tier “on a budget” channels. For them, paying for HD is not an option, as a lot of them run on a shoestring. As MPEG4 transmission accommodates both SD & HD there is no physical reason for them to upgrade anyway.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I have no doubt that VM would like all SD channels to be replaced with HD channels as some DVB-C spectrum would be recovered. And some customers with 4K TVs would like this as well because, let's face it, 576i upscaled to 2160p is never going to look good. But there's a lot of people who don't have - and never will have - 4K TVs and are perfectly happy with SD. I think SD will be around for decades.

--
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

But there's a lot of people who don't have - and never will have - 4K TVs and are perfectly happy with SD. I think SD will be around for decades.

SD specific broadcasts won't, and some point HD specific broadcasts may not be. What will stay is what VM now have - boxes that can downscale picture formats from one to the other that suits the connected TV.

For instance HD TV customers with a V6 box can watch the Virgin Ultra HD channel as the V6 box can downscale over HDMI to HD formats.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

You say that SD specific broadcasts won't be around for ages, but who is going to pay for the HD equivalents? Would it be VM if the need arose to reallocate some of the DVB-C spectrum to something else.

--
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You say that SD specific broadcasts won't be around for ages, but who is going to pay for the HD equivalents? Would it be VM if the need arose to reallocate some of the DVB-C spectrum to something else.

Pretty sure Ben is referring to the tech side of transmission, as I did in my post.

MPEG2 has become the SD standard, but this is now superseded by MPEG4, which accomodates SD, HD & UHD.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

That's a different reason to what you said above about 4K TVs. Whether a channel broadcasts in SD only, HD only, or both is their choice.

However where a channel does have HD capability, there will be less need to also broadcast a specific SD version unless the access platform needs it. Which Virgin Media don't anymore.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos