Menu
Susie9983
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Use coax as Ethernet?

just completed an extension where the electrician has two coax cables coming from Hub to beside tv.

can I use one as coax as normal and use other coax as Ethernet with correct fittings? so I do not have to go wireless? 

Or cani buy a coax to Ethernet adaptor?

0 Kudos
praxis
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use coax as Ethernet?

@Susie9983 wrote:

just completed an extension where the electrician has two coax cables coming from Hub to beside tv.

can I use one as coax as normal and use other coax as Ethernet with correct fittings? so I do not have to go wireless? 

Or cani buy a coax to Ethernet adaptor?

Just a pity you had not thought about it in advance you can pick up extra long Ethernet cables for as little as £6 on EBay. Checked your original question on Google it can be done but the first adapter I found on Amazon comes in at around £60. Is there no way you can simply feed an Ethernet cable through where the coax runs. ?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your hub and TV box need coax cables supplied by Virgin Media. If your TV box is a V6 it needs connecting to the hub (Ethernet cable is best). Call VM to do the work, costs £99.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
PrinterElf
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@praxis wrote:
Is there no way you can simply feed an Ethernet cable through where the coax runs. ?

Or even tape the ends together and use one to pull through the other

0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Forget about a converter, they at best run at 10 base T, or 10MB per second.  A cat5e cable typically uses 100 Mb per second and over short distances higher performance is not untypical.
You would be better of scrapping the unused cable and simply use the 5.2 GHz WiFi connection between the V6 box and the superhub rather than wasting money.
You may want to check that the coax that you electrician has installed is digital quality and not RF quality as someone has no idea of what is required for a V6 box, has for example the cable been terminated with bayonet or push fit connectors.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.
0 Kudos
PrinterElf
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Susie9983 wrote:

can I use one as coax as normal....

I completely missed this very important point - unless the electrician has installed either Webro HD100 coax, or Virgin's own, then you can't use either of them for any Virgin unit.

0 Kudos