Menu
Cookie969
Just joined
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Uk call centre

Is it possible to speak to anyone in the uk anymore who’s actually able to understand a word I say ! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Uk call centre

Try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 8am until 10pm but calling early (between 08.00-11.00 is usually best) you will usually get a UK call centre then.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Retentions doesn't really guarantee a UK call centre anymore. I called at about 09:45 recently and after a 40 minute wait got the Philippines. They're very polite and helpful but in the end they had to transfer me back to the UK anyway.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

Retentions doesn't really guarantee a UK call centre anymore. I called at about 09:45 recently and after a 40 minute wait got the Philippines. They're very polite and helpful but in the end they had to transfer me back to the UK anyway.

Yeah its not guaranteed - as soon as the UK staff are swamped the calls divert offshore.   Mondays or calling later, can be bad for that happening early.  Its just your best chance.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kevino81
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Careful you don't offend the liberal left with this thread 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
grangeway
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've been trying to work out how to change my account; and i'm trying to do too many things in one go - so confusing the off short call centres. So far they keep telling me that I should be on their ultimate oomph bundle, which is 99 then 139, as that's the best package for me.   What they've so far failed to do is be able to explain/compare other package options (e.g. if we remove sky cinema and upgrade a smaller package - for a new customer it would be cheaper than the 99 offer).

What I actually want to do is complex, but also quite simple: confirm line rental saver is no more, discuss whether it is better to remove sky cinema, and just keep sports, or go "all in". Move a phone number onto the new oomph sim card, upgrade a 2nd sim already on my account such that the new family setup can apply. Move a 3rd sim from a separate account onto my account, upgrade it and add it to the family setup.

When I last touched the mobiles a couple of years ago - they got then numbers confused (very similiar numbers - one ends 936, the other 369!) - and wanted us to return a brand new phone so they could fix the contracts. This included waiting 1 hour on the phone whilst they tried to find my account (that was an impressive feat as I was ringing from the Landline linked to the account, had given them the account numbers and address - and we have lived in the same address and been a customer since 2003!

My criteria for starting the above therefore is that I can communicate and am happy that the person I am communicating too can understand what is being asked. Think I've rung up about 5 times so far - they tried to transfer me to a different department and got cut off twice.

In the mean time, I've had someone trying to call me giving away powerline adapters - again, not being that clear as to why I would need/want them.

Whilst I understand that to offer a 24/7 service, you need to have staff in different countries really - there is also a point where there should be a method to ensure that you can effectively and efficiently deal with customers

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@grangeway wrote:

Whilst I understand that to offer a 24/7 service, you need to have staff in different countries really - there is also a point where there should be a method to ensure that you can effectively and efficiently deal with customers

It doesn't help with your specific issues, but if it's ok to say... I don't see any reason why this needs to be the case! Look at First Direct for an example of a company offering 24/7 service entirely from UK centres and which tops the satisfaction ratings.

The difference is, FD treat customer service as a culture rather than a department, and aren't afraid to have rates that are not market leading because of their superb service. Disclaimer: Other examples are available, this is just one of the more obvious.

0 Kudos
grangeway
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

that is very true - culture/service are important.  I don't particularly want to have to ring up a company once a year for deals etc and beg. If virgin said to me that could save me £5 on my package a month, but they'd need to send me a new router/tv box etc - i'd probably say don't worry, i'll pay the extra 5. Whilst a lot of people go for discounts etc - good service does not mean 'cheapest / best deal' all the time; which I think is your point @japitts 🙂

I've just rang up again today - I said about the oomph bundle - then got the call operator said they'd look at my existing package and what they could do; apparently I currently pay 121/month, and they can create a package that brings the price down to 128 (???). I then mentioned the oomph bundle again for 99 - and get told that exists as well, and they'll transfer me.

From my side, calling 150 is a free call, it's on hands free - I'm 100% happy to change package as soon as I get an operator that I know I can trust to process and communicate it correctly, so when they ask for my name and I say "Paul XYZ" and they reply with "Hello Mr Paul", they are starting in a good position 🙂 [I suspect that may be cultural differences here though; as our local Indian restaurant does exactly the same]

0 Kudos
Drumbeat
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Isn't that the burning question, Cookie969.
Yesterday I rang Virgin with the purpose of haggling, as my 12-month contract for phone/broadband/TV is about to expire. I have previously had success asking for a further discount on my Virgin packages - but only when I have got through to someone in the UK.
Anyway, yesterday i got connected to the Philippines, and in an nutshell, the unhelpful woman refused to offer any discount, then had the utter cheek to ask me if there was anything else she could help me with. ANYTHING ELSE? What a cheek! As if she helped with anything in the first place.
This morning, at 9.40, I rang 150 again, and got connected to India, I think. The woman, who I could barely understand, accidentally, I presume, disconnected my call. Look, she had my number, therefore why did she not have the decency to phone back?
Later this morning, at 11.30, I got through to India again on the 0345 number. Pointless talking to them, absolutely pointless, so I terminated the call.
0 Kudos
praxis
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

while having call centres offshore is becoming more of a standard for UK companies the one thing they forget to take into consideration is local accents in the UK we have 4 national accents under 1 flag and while the offshore call centre staff might have a basic grasp of English trying to get your point across can be extremely frustrating.When we had VM Tv a few years back on making a phone call to 150 and ending up with the offshore call centre I explained why I was calling only to be told that the issue I was complaining about could be easily fixed if I simply reboot my box every morning and every night.When I pushed the guy as to why he thought that would fix the issue he told me that was what he had been told to say.

0 Kudos