Menu
pants01
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TV picture has gone Green - RUBBISH VIGIN HARDWARE

Now on my 4th !!!! amazing Virgin TV box (new type), the previous 3 have all died - gone into standby never to turn on again.

This latest box - approx 2 mths old, had gone into standby this morning - so I did the normal switch off, unplug from wall, re-start procedure, and now it is working but the TV picture has turned mostly GREEN.... I cannot say how frustrating and dreadful the virgin HW is - for nearly £80 a month for their services I think Virgin need to step up and sort this out !  REALLY not happy !

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV picture has gone Green - RUBBISH VIGIN HARDWARE

Sounds like a loose HDMI cable. Try reseating it in  the V6 box and TV to see if that fixes it. Also try a different HDMI cable just to be sure.

As for the hardware, I have two V6's that have worked perfectly for almost 2 years so it sounds as if you have just been incredibly unlucky, especially as no one else seems to report the problems you have had.

As a matter of interest do you turn off your hub at night?

0 Kudos
pants01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So, after a 45 minute call to the help line, I went through various steps with the guy in the call centre, who asked me to make adjustments to the "Sound" section in the virgin menu (no idea why as the problem is with the TV picture! ) who then advised that it might be a network issue... I advised it obviously isnt because we have another box which works fine, I then insisted on speaking to his manager. I spoke to his manager, we went through various steps - resulting in me unplugging all cables, re-routing cables etc... and reached the same stage - where I was told I would have to "wait" for 48hrs for the network team to run a check... I pointed out it cant be a network issue, and I would be without TV for a weekend (and I want a credit for that Virgin !!!), so by the time they get an engineer aligned to come to the house to tell me the box is knackered (again !), I will be without TV for a week or more... not good.  She would not give me her managers name, or the contact detail for the Virgin UK based customer complaints team (I presume out of fear of getting a RED mark on their metrics), so I am no further forward, but my blood pressure is a lot higher... thanks Virgin !

0 Kudos
pants01
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - greatly appreciated - tried that - still no joy ! really dissapointing ! Especially as Virgin insist on going through their process of putting it via a network team as the next step, when it clearly isnt a network issue... so I am stuck and at the mercy of Virgin process and inability to think "outside the box" - thank you again.

The previous boxes have all displayed the same symptoms and we have tried turning off at night, and not turning off at night.... the boxes go into this state of their own accord even during the day (for example if we turn the tv off and go out ... they have gone wrong upon our return).  The engineer did elude to this happening with other boxes of this type too. Just bad luck I guess.

Thanks again for your response and suggestions !

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Still on the first tivo box from 6 years ago. Never had a problem. Are you using surge protectors or could something else connected be damaging them?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

could be the hdmi card in your tv, try swapping the two boxes over and see if the problem stays on the tv or follows the box

0 Kudos
Highlighted
pants01
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After turning the whole system down in disgust, and leaving it for an hour, I have turned it on... and it is fine again

That is without.... changing HDMI cables / removing all cables / taking my TV apart to look at various bits and peices (Thanks for the other comments about things to check everyone - greatly appreciated!)....

So ... either the box is self repairing - which the others did in the same manner before they ultimatley expired !.... or the virgin networks team found something (which I find unlikely but who am I to question anything).

After the messages I have seen... maybe I am just really unlucky.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Having made so many box swaps and the problem still remaining, the problem almost certainly does not lie with the box.

0 Kudos
pants01
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

fair comment... my issue is that it is Virgin Media's equipment and my agreement with them states that they own and replace the kit (if applicable) and are responsible for fixing the faults. They are responsible for ensuring I have a continuous service in line with what I pay each month to recieve the service, so I would expect them to fix the issue, first time - right time.

If I am having repeated faults of the same nature then I would expect my service provider to dig deeper and identify the route cause and put a permanent fix in place.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

true but if the fault is from damage caused by your hardware they would charge you for the damage so worth checking. you have way more failure rates then most people

0 Kudos