Menu
JakeJohnstone
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports unwatchable

The picture quality for Sky Sports has been getting worse and worse to the point it is now unwatchable. The players are just blurs and even when it shows a player close up his name on his shirt can't be made out. I've reset the box and tried different cables as well as changing video settings in both my 4k TV and the output of the virgin box. All other channels appear fine, its only Sky Sports with which I have issues 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports unwatchable

I would call faults & report the issue. After all you are renting the box, so the callout would be free.

Give them a call on 150 free from any Virgin phone, or 0345 454 1111 from others (standard landline number).

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there JakeJohnstone

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting.

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing picture quality issues with Sky Sports. We appreciate that this must be frustrating and we apologise for any disappointment caused by this.

Has there been any improvement since your last post at all?

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
mikesuffs
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm having a very similar problem. Wouldn't describe the SD Sky Sports channels as 'unwatchable' but they are really poor quality compared to, for example, watching Match Of The Day in SD on the Beeb. I have also changed outputs/cables to no effect and am running an older Tivo box, not that I believe that's a problem.

I subscribe to Racing TV in HD & that picture is excellent, so it's clearly a Sky SD problem. I've only just returned to Sky Sports after a break and the picture quality is definitely worse than previously on exactly the same kit, which is very disappointing. I could report this as a 'fault' although I don't really think it is?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there mikesuffs

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages.

We are sorry to hear that you are having picture quality issues. 

Is the equipment well ventilated? Are you also using an HD TV? Are you using an HDMI or SCART cable? 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
mikesuffs
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply David.

Yes, the equipment is well ventilated. It is an HD TV and I'm using an HDMI lead via HDMI1.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@David_Pn wrote:

Is the equipment well ventilated? Are you also using an HD TV? Are you using an HDMI or SCART cable? 

Interesting.  When I had my old TiVo box I made a few Sky Sports recordings via SCART onto a HDD recorder and looking at them they are pretty good quality.  As good as BBC SD.  But when I had Sky Sports just over a month ago, the picture wasn't as good as BBC SD.  Definitely a deterioration over time. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you mikesuffs

Do you find the issue is solely with Sky Sports in standard definition? 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikesuffs
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nat

Sky Sports in SD plus other SD Sky channels (definitely Sky Sports racing and possibly other non-sports Sky channels - but I don't really watch those enough of those to make a valid comparison). Only Sky channels though.

I was a subscriber to SS for years via Virgin then cancelled some months ago and have just rejoined. I'm using exactly the same kit, but the pictures are markedly worse.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JakeJohnstone
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

There hasnt been any improvement, no. I've looked at similar posts online since posting this and see this has been mentioned in several places and the consensus seems to be that there is no fix. The picture is just that poor despite it not being so bad previously.

I've ended up just subscribing to the HD package, as I dont have any confidence in the SD picture quality returning to what it used to be. Luckily I was offered a deal which means I'm only paying a couple of quid extra a month with a couple of additional perks added as well.  

0 Kudos