Menu
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports F1 Standalone Subscription

@nodrogd wrote:

@Tavis75 wrote:

It would definitely be nice if VM were able to offer this, as I'd probably be just about willing to stretch to £10 per month for the F1 (especially as that will now work out cheaper than using NowTV for the races that C4 aren't showing in full) but can't imagine it will happen anytime soon and not keen enough to give up my V6 box and switch back to SkyQ. 

Mind you, if VM roll out the Horizon box anytime soon...

There won’t be a new box. The Horizon 4 firmware IS designed for the V6 box. However, if it is fully implemented the internal HDD becomes redundant as the recordings are stored in the cloud.

The V6 boxes now being rolled out in the rest of Europe don’t have an HDD fitted.

I should have said firmware rather than box (at least if it was a new box it would likely take VM a few years to roll it out!)

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@praxis wrote:

...the much advertised Sky Q without a dish I spoke to a Sky installer and he said that will not happen anytime soon as Sky have done tests and it seems there system dish free would need a minimum 80Gb BB connection and as Sky at the moment cannot provide that speed they are almost ready to put that on the back burner. Because Sky don’t want customers who get their TV from them and their BB from VM. So it’s back to the much used thread on here about being able to choose the channels you want and pay for them rather than take 200 channels you don’t want and will never watch.

Oddly that happens right now with Now TV.  

Wonder if Sky might upgrade Now TV to HD/4K so it had the same needs as Netflix.  Just 25GB

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:
...if it is fully implemented the internal HDD becomes redundant as the recordings are stored in the cloud.

The V6 boxes now being rolled out in the rest of Europe don’t have an HDD fitted.

I should have said firmware rather than box (at least if it was a new box it would likely take VM a few years to roll it out!)

Interesting, wonder if that would be like Google Play like storage where common recordings are held once.  I suspect most recordings are Match of the Day, Eastenders and Coronation Street.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@Tavis75 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:
...if it is fully implemented the internal HDD becomes redundant as the recordings are stored in the cloud.

Interesting, wonder if that would be like Google Play like storage where common recordings are held once.  I suspect most recordings are Match of the Day, Eastenders and Coronation Street.

I would assume so, so it won't actually be storage for your recordings, just a streaming service that only includes things that have been broadcast recently, no point in keeping thousands of copies of the same thing.

Though with no hard drive how does the Horizon platform work for live TV pausing\rewinding etc.? Is even live TV shown from the streaming service, or does it switch when you pause\rewind or are these features just missing (like all the other useful features on the TiVo\V6 system). 

0 Kudos