Menu
pwoodward
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports F1 Standalone Subscription

Hello

It has been announced for the 2019 F1 season that Sky are introducing from the 1st March 2019 a standalone F1 channel subscription of £10 a month.   I have heard that this is for existing Sky subscribers only and there is no mention whether this will be offered to Virgin subscribers.

I contacted Virgin support this morning to enquire if this service is going to be offered to virgin subscribers but they had no knowledge of this,

As a keen F1 fan and by the fact that Channel 4 are only offering a highlight service this year then I am keen to see the F1 action live.   Now that Sky have a full monopoly to the F1 rights for live races (except the British Grand Prix) and by the fact that their subsidiary NowTV service charge a high pay as you view price for individual races then I would be very interested in paying £10 a  month for this new Sky F1 standalone service.

So Virgin are you going to be offering this?

Thank you

Paul

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports F1 Standalone Subscription

The current Sky Sports contract between Virgin Media and Sky was signed in 2014 for 5 years which I think it means it's due to be re-negotiated later this year:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/virgin-media/128824-virgin-media-to-get-sky-f1-hd-channel-at-las...

As with any negotiated contract, Sky Sports pricing is unlikely to change before those negotiations are complete. And any pricing change would be a joint agreement between Sky and Virgin Media.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@pwoodward wrote:

My opinion is it is unlikely as they never offered the individual sports channels when Sky did it.  But you never know, wait until Friday and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@pwoodward wrote:

My opinion is it is unlikely as they never offered the individual sports channels when Sky did it.  But you never know, wait until Friday and see what happens.

Because they couldn't as they are bound by the terms of the existing agreement with Sky. 

Hopefully it is something that will change under the new agreement. Assuming they come to an agreement.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi pwoodward,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

The above information provided by the community is about as much as we have to tell you, I'm afraid. We are aware that the deal is probably up for renegotiation soon, but would never have access to these details until a deal is agreed.

It is unlikely that we'll be able to offer the channels as standalone, as it proves uneconomical for Sky to provide them to us in this way. However, we're always looking to improve our services and would be sure to shout about any changes or updates.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Cueball99 wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@pwoodward wrote:

Because they couldn't as they are bound by the terms of the existing agreement with Sky. 

Hopefully it is something that will change under the new agreement. Assuming they come to an agreement.

I don't know what the existing agreement is but if someone from VM had a chat with someone from Sky there could be an amendment to the agreement.

After all this is probably what happened when Sky Cinema went HD. It can't have coincided with the end of an agreement.

Agreements can be altered and if Sky thought they would make money with such an alteration they would be in contact with VM. Or VM could contact Sky with some revised mutually beneficial agreement. Which they might do if their customers asked.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

After all this is probably what happened when Sky Cinema went HD. It can't have coincided with the end of an agreement.

That happened when Sky Movies became Sky Cinema so was part of an overall update to the channels. That's different to where Sky are re-bundling a channel for their own customers.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
praxis
Rising star
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@pwoodward wrote:

Hello

It has been announced for the 2019 F1 season that Sky are introducing from the 1st March 2019 a standalone F1 channel subscription of £10 a month.   I have heard that this is for existing Sky subscribers only and there is no mention whether this will be offered to Virgin subscribers.

I contacted Virgin support this morning to enquire if this service is going to be offered to virgin subscribers but they had no knowledge of this,

As a keen F1 fan and by the fact that Channel 4 are only offering a highlight service this year then I am keen to see the F1 action live.   Now that Sky have a full monopoly to the F1 rights for live races (except the British Grand Prix) and by the fact that their subsidiary NowTV service charge a high pay as you view price for individual races then I would be very interested in paying £10 a  month for this new Sky F1 standalone service.

Thank you

Paul

Even if Sky did offer VM the F1 channel as a stand-alone option VM would more than likely add more cash to the deal ? But the main thing Sky want is for you to drop VM Tv and get your Tv from them. It’s the same with the much advertised Sky Q without a dish I spoke to a Sky installer and he said that will not happen anytime soon as Sky have done tests and it seems there system dish free would need a minimum 80Gb BB connection and as Sky at the moment cannot provide that speed they are almost ready to put that on the back burner. Because Sky don’t want customers who get there a Tv from them and there BB from VM. So it’s back to the much used thread on here about being able to choose the channels you want and pay for them rather than take 200 channels you don’t want and will never watch.

Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It would definitely be nice if VM were able to offer this, as I'd probably be just about willing to stretch to £10 per month for the F1 (especially as that will now work out cheaper than using NowTV for the races that C4 aren't showing in full) but can't imagine it will happen anytime soon and not keen enough to give up my V6 box and switch back to SkyQ. 

Mind you, if VM roll out the Horizon box anytime soon...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 wrote:

It would definitely be nice if VM were able to offer this, as I'd probably be just about willing to stretch to £10 per month for the F1 (especially as that will now work out cheaper than using NowTV for the races that C4 aren't showing in full) but can't imagine it will happen anytime soon and not keen enough to give up my V6 box and switch back to SkyQ. 

Mind you, if VM roll out the Horizon box anytime soon...

There won’t be a new box. The Horizon 4 firmware IS designed for the V6 box. However, if it is fully implemented the internal HDD becomes redundant as the recordings are stored in the cloud.

The V6 boxes now being rolled out in the rest of Europe don’t have an HDD fitted.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos