Menu
chrislearmonth
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Play content on Virgin box in more than one room?

HI there,

My mother is a Virgin TV broadband subscriber.

Currently, she watches all her recorded programmes on her TV in the living room, which is where her Virgin box is located.

I'll be visiting for Christmas, and i'd love to change here setup, so that in addition to watching her recorded programmes in the living room, she also has the ability to watch her recorded programmes from her bedroom.

So, my question is, what do I need to buy in order to achieve this?

Is there such a thing as a secondary Virgin Box that can link to the source box, and playback it's content?

I know she pays over £100 a month for her channels, so I think for that money, she should have a lot more playing choices than she does at present.

Thanks for advance for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Play content on Virgin box in more than one room?

A second box costs £7.50 per month, if she has to v6 boxes they have this feature

0 Kudos
chrislearmonth
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for you reply.

So, I just ask my mum to phone up Virgin and ask for a secondary box?

Sounds easy enough.

and to confirm, once I set this up for her, it'll be able to access all the programmes she has recorded on her main box in the living room?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You will require V6 boxes to do this, plus a Superhub 3, so if she has one of the older boxes all the equipment will probably need changing.

The additional box will need additional installation work as it requires a connection to Virgins coaxial cable. It will also need a connection to the Superhub. This can be wireless but if there are issues with wireless congestion in the neighbourhood you may have to pay out again to put in a wired link to the hub.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Slightly more complicated.  First there will be a £99 installation fee and a £20 activation fee as well as the £7.50 a month.  Unless she (or you + her) can speak to "Retentions" and negotiate a better deal in lieu of a new contract.  Engineer will wire in a new wall box in the bedroom to connect the new V6 to.  It will also need to be connected to your Hub. The first one is - if its near the Hub I will assume they connected it with and ethernet cable.  This gives by far the best connection.  The new one in the bedroom I am assuming will be some way away  How convenient is it to run an ethernet cable from the Hub to the new V6 box?  If its problematic then the engineer will probably connect the second box by wifi.  This should be ok (I have 2 connected by wifi) but it depends on how good the wifi signal is in the bedroom.  That can be hit and miss for lots of reasons - are you able to test that with a device in the bedroom first?  If its poor then the connection will be frustratingly "droppy".  Then you would need to improve the wifi in the bedroom (not too difficult) - or consider connecting the second V6 to the Hub using powerline adapters (do a search) which should work ok as long as the circuits are the same or go through the same consumer unit (fuse box).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
chrislearmonth
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

It seems it's a bit more complicated (and expensive) that I thought.

It's good to know what's entailed though, if I do go down the route of installing a 2nd box and running a cable to the hub.

0 Kudos