cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query: Intermittent screen blanking on V6 Box

Betanski
On our wavelength

I'm trying to find out what is causing the following problem.  Whenever I watch any source from my V6 box (be it a TV programme or from an App), I'm regularly experiencing the screen going black for about 3 to 4 seconds, sound remains fine.  This intermittent fault occurs at least twice within each hour.  My V6 box is connected to my TV via an AV receiver, the connection is made via very expensive fibre optic HDMI cables, one from the V6 to the amp, another from the amp to my TV. As a process of elimination to try to detect where the fault lies, I have tried connecting the V6 box directly to the TV (thus eliminating the AV Amp), but problem remains.  I am convinced the problem lies solely with the Virgin equipment as any other video source which is sent to the TV, either through the amp or direct to the TV does not deliver the described fault. I have also tried different HDMI cables but again, the fault remains. I've even tried using a different TV to see if the fault is at the TV. The fault appears on all the TVs I've tried.  By all means, it seems I only experience the fault when using the V6 box as the source.  An engineer came with a replacement V6 box but the problem is still there so I'm pulling my hair out in trying to find out what is causing this fault. Any advice would be appreciated.  thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The suggestion to tweak the video output was as much a diagnostic exercise as anything - it may help ID if the issue is related to this setting.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the past I found that having Dolby Digital on in the settings alongside the 2160 options often caused my TV picture to blank out for a few seconds when changing channels, but not  actually during  normal viewing of a channel. 

I switched to 1080p and let my TV do the upscaling rather than the V6 (apart from when watching sport) and the small blackouts stopped

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By means of an "instinctive" response rather than having put masses of thought into this.. have you tried changing your V6 output resolution, as something else to eliminate?

I don't know what size TV you're watching on (2160 or 1080) but Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video output. Have you tried 1080 & 720?

What's the make & model numbers of your TV & A/V kit?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Betanski
On our wavelength

Japitts, thanks so much for your response. 

I haven't tried altering the V6 resolution as all my equipment is 4K , hence the reason I'm paying the £££'s to Virgin for the V6.

My TV is a 55" LG CX OLED & my AV amp is a Denon AVC X6500H

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The suggestion to tweak the video output was as much a diagnostic exercise as anything - it may help ID if the issue is related to this setting.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In the past I found that having Dolby Digital on in the settings alongside the 2160 options often caused my TV picture to blank out for a few seconds when changing channels, but not  actually during  normal viewing of a channel. 

I switched to 1080p and let my TV do the upscaling rather than the V6 (apart from when watching sport) and the small blackouts stopped

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for taking the time to try & help me with this problem.

Very much appreciated.

Betanski
On our wavelength

I'll have a try adjusting the resolution. again, really appreciate your kindness in trying to help.

Thank you & best wishes.