Menu
Highlighted
Bobmcfish
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Picture dropout Black Screen with new V6 box & Samsung TV

Since our upgrade from TIVO to V6 we are experiencing random black screen picture dropout issues. When the engineers installed the box they couldn't get a picture at first. They said they had seen an email about it but couldn't remember what the advice was. All the menus and audio were fine but in the Guide, the mini screen in the corner was black and when the Guide was exited there was no picture, just sound. They concluded that it was a problem with the HDMI cable. I unplugged it from HDMI 1 and plugged it into HDMI 2 and the picture came back. They then concluded that HDMI1 was faulty. Since then, I have been using HDMI1 just fine but occasionally the picture and sound drop out randomly 4 or 5 times. If I then plug it into HDMI 2 instead, the dropout stops. Then after a few days of behaving itself on HDMI 2 it does the same dropout again so I plug it into HDMI 1 instead and it behaves itself again for a random time (days) then starts playing up again

Also, there is some kind of handshaking problem between the V6 box and my Samsung TV because when I come down in the morning and the V6 box is in standby (red light on) if I turn the TV on before I wake the V6 box up, I don't get a picture, just sound. If I then unplug the V6 from its current HDMI port and plug it into a different HDMI port I get the picture and normal behaviour. If I wake the V6 box up first and go and put the kettle on, when I come back and switch on the TV everything is fine

As I am typing this the V6 box has just gone into its cycle of dropping the picture and sound then bringing it back then dropping it and so on. This goes on for a few minutes until I lose patience and get up and switch to a different HDMI port on the TV. On this occasion I restarted the box and picture and sound is back. I imagine that Virgin may suggest that the problem is with my TV but I had no such problems with the TIVO box I was previously using so I am doubtful that the TV is the problem. I do have another V6 box upstairs. I will swap them and see what happens

If anyone else has had similar experiences please let me know. If anyone has any advice please do reply with it. It VM are listening please let me know what I should do. If I get an engineer out it may not exhibit the fault, and of course it means taking a day off work!

TIA

Bob

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Picture dropout Black Screen with new V6 box & Samsung TV

Hello Bobmcfish,

Thanks for taking the time to post and I'm sorry to learn you're having problems with your V6 box.

I have been looking for any known issues and there is one regarding blanking screens but this should only be happening if your video output is set to 1080i.

If your video output is to to 1080i then please disable this and select another option.

You can do this by going to - 

Home - Help & Settings  - Settings - Video Output - Video Output Format.

If it's already set to a different format then we may need to arrange for an engineer so please get back to me when you can.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Bobmcfish
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose

Thanks very much for responding to my post. I may have resolved the problem by replacing the HDMI cable with the new one the engineer left. I got 2 new boxes and one new cable so I was still using an old one of mine. I've not re-tested the other issue where the tv won't see the box unless it is on before switching the tv on. I'm too busy enjoying watching stuff without the picture dropping out 😀
Please mark this as resolved. I got lucky 👍
Thanks
Bob
0 Kudos
Bobmcfish
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I forgot to mention it is set to 2610p
Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bob,

Really pleased to hear about this Smiley Happy

Sometimes it can be down to something simple and I hope you don't have any further problems but please let us know if you do.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Bobmcfish
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. It does occasionally refuse to show a picture if the tv is turned on before the box is woken up from standby. It is necessary then to put the box back into standby and back on again for the tv to get the signal. Perhaps this will be fixed by a firmware update of either device if enough people experience this issue 😀
Cheers
0 Kudos
kevins3
Settling in
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

We have been suffering with this for ages now on our Tivo box, really annoying.  Had the "checks" done a couple of times after checking obvious things like calbles plugged in properly etc and then phoning but no improvement.  I'll try the video output settings and new cable tips.  Found this post very useful, thanks.

0 Kudos
Bobmcfish
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I know you said you tried cables but for me the problem was solved by replacing the cable with a new one. Now it doesn't matter which order I turn devices on, there are no longer any failures. I wonder if a firmware upgrade has also occurred on my TV. There have been a few updates which have installed

0 Kudos
Nigel1968
Joining in
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi both my Samsung tv's black out with no sound and noticed the engineer asked if I could use one of my own hdmi leads on installation,because he only had one HDMI lead on his van?

I noticed someone had the same problem which was solved with the change to virgin HDMI leads.

As I have one of theres and one of mine and it' still happening does anyone know of another way to resolve!

Any ideas cheers Nigel.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nigel1968,

Thanks for posting on the community.

I'd just like to check how things have been since your appointment?

Have you been able to test this with another HDMI cable?

Hope to hear from you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos