Menu
JuliaBlack
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Next Door messages on my TV

Can anyone explain why I was getting messages on my Virgin TV from my neighbour asking me to ‘allow device’.I phoned Virgin and they told me they would arrange to remove this problem. I would love to understand what is going on! 

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Next Door messages on my TV

Is your neighbour using a Bluetooth or WiFi device and intentionally/unintentionally (delete as appropriate) trying to connect to your TV set? Or if you've got a V6 with WiFi, I don't know if this could be an avenue in?

Either way, I'd love to know what CS are going to do about your neighbour's devices!!

JuliaBlack
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts . I am a novice in this world of telecommunication and am sorry to say I have no idea what V6 with WiFi is. I have a WiFi box sitting under\beside the TV. I have no idea whether my neighbours are intentionally or unintentionally wishing to connect to my TV set and would rather not ask them for fear of causing unpleasantness and wanting to keep a respectful distance.

With regard to the phone conversation I had with Virgin, they would say no more than ‘the problem has been solved’ and that no more messages would would pop up on my TV screen. 

0 Kudos
praxis
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

Is your neighbour using a Bluetooth or WiFi device and intentionally/unintentionally (delete as appropriate) trying to connect to your TV set? Or if you've got a V6 with WiFi, I don't know if this could be an avenue in?

Either way, I'd love to know what CS are going to do about your neighbour's devices!!

Surely if they were attempting to connect via Wi-Fi they would need the OP,s password and as Bluetooth has limited range not sure that would work either ?

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The OP mentioned about getting prompts on their TV screen asking if they wanted to accept a connection, I'd have thought this could potentially be the precursor to a password prompt?

As for not being close enough, our neighbour's TV is directly through the wall to ours, a mirror layout. It appears on Bluetooth searches from our lounge quite reliably, so their STB could if it was WiFi enabled... (they have Freesat, FWIW)

To the OP: Assuming you have a Virgin-V6 box, it has a WiFi connection internally built in. You mentioned about the prompt on your TV screen refers to one of your neighbours devices. I could be completely wrong, but I suspect the people next door could be trying to connect one of their devices to your V6 box. Every time they try, the box generates a prompt to say "do you want me to accept this connection?" which is put onto your TV picture. I use one of the (slightly older) TiVo boxes which doesn't have WiFi so I can't check this theory, and it could also be complete balderdash.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

this will not be the tivo V6 box. It will be the smart TV you have. Most tv allow you to cast from mobile devices to smart TV. you should turn this off to stop it. Nothing VM can do its not a VM problem

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello JuliaBlack, 

Welcome to the forums and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you are getting this odd message on your TV Screen. 

I can see a few of our users have responded but I wanted to follow up also. 

What our superuser apcyberax has advised, this would be a message from your TV itself; this is not a message from any of our devices. 

It sounds like your neighbour is trying to connect to your device (intentionally or my mistake, we do not know; you would need to chat with your neighbour about this).  As apcyberax mentioned, you can turn this feature off with your TV set; take a look through the manual or settings page for how to do this. This will then stop any devices from pairing with your TV and the messages will stop. 

Unfortunately this is not an issue we can assist with - you will need to check your TV settings or speak with your neighbour. 

Cheers. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
JuliaBlack
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Jappits, Praxis, Cyberax. Katie and all for your responses and suggestions. You were all very helpful.

Apparently it is my smart TV which was picked up by my neighbours who tried to connect to it. I have no idea why Virgin (on the phone) told me they had sorted the problem. Katie was right, it has nothing to do with Virgin! 

I was afraid of ‘an invasion’ but it seems that, although my neighbours might be able to send requests which flash up on my screen, they cannot ‘get in’ unless I agree. So I feel happier and safer now. My family, friends and I have tried to remove this preference  on settings (Samsung TV) but it is too complicated and takes away other options - If that makes any sense. 

Thanks again to you all. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

surely the easiest solution is to go speak to your neighour and advise them what they are doing, and politely ask then to refrain.