Menu
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New Pick'n'Mix pack options

Mentioned in amongst other VM news today.

Source : https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-brings-it-all-togethe...

Pick ‘n’ Mix TV packs With Personal Picks, customers can pick and mix their TV options to create a personalised TV line-up and control the price they pay for the telly they love every month.

Available with Virgin Media’s great value Player bundle, customers can add up to four Entertainment Picks: Entertainment & Drama, Entertainment & Documentaries, Entertainment & Lifestyle and Entertainment & Sport Lite.

Each Pick includes Sky One, Sky Witness, Gold HD and Comedy Central HD as well as a great selection of channels relating to each of the four genres, plus must-see box sets.

Customers can add one Pick to their bundle for £10 per month with each subsequent Pick costing £7 per month. Picks can be changed every month.

A dedicated Kids Pick is also available on Player and Full House packages and will keep Virgin Media’s youngest viewers entertained for just £5 per month. This includes 11 channels, such as Disney XD, Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network, as well as many episodes available via catch-up and box sets.

Customers can also add a range of premium TV packs to their bundle such as Sky Sports, Sky Cinema HD and BT Sport, as well as subscribe to Netflix, Hayu and Starzplay.

On top of this, Full House and V.VIP customers can experience blockbuster entertainment in stunning 4K Ultra High Definition with the Virgin TV Ultra HD channel. All customers can enjoy their favourite shows included in their bundle on the move with the Virgin TV Go app which can be accessed across multiple devices such as mobiles, tablets and laptops.

Customers can watch live TV, catch up and on-demand box sets and Full House and V.VIP customers can also download a host of shows to watch offline.

LutzSchüler concluded: “Our new Personal Picks mean viewers can tune into the shows they love, picking and mixing the best channels around with the freedom and flexibility to change them every month. “Whether it’s binge-worthy dramas like The Walking Dead, unearthing the planet’s secrets with a dazzling documentary or making sure they’re keeping up with Kardashians, Virgin Media customers can build a top telly line-up and stay in control of the price they pay for their package.”

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vwillcox
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Pick'n'Mix pack options

So, will us existing full house users be grandfathered in? Or will I lose channels (save money)?

I don't need the kids pack, but it is in the current Full House? So if this goes - I hope to see a £5 reduction in my bill?

My Speed
350MB/s.
0 Kudos
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@vwillcox wrote:

So, will us existing full house users be grandfathered in? Or will I lose channels (save money)?

I don't need the kids pack, but it is in the current Full House? So if this goes - I hope to see a £5 reduction in my bill?

I get the impression it's not a replacement for any existing service tier, and it's for adding to a lower tier, it won't be to remove anything.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've got a Virgin sim, how do you get a broadband boost? 

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@dannylau wrote:

I've got a Virgin sim, how do you get a broadband boost? 

I believe it is only for those on selected tariffs, it's not just a case of all Virgin Mobile customers getting it.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I like the concept of this, no doubt borrowing from what Sky did a couple of years back although Virgin are retaining the existing package structure too.

Some very quick maths - I make it £24 difference between Player & Full House, the packs are £10 initially plus £7 each so at 2 packs there's probably enough of a saving to justify going pick&mix rather than Full House. At 3 packs, you may as well go Full House - not unlike the Sky Sports pricing model. Each pack seems to include HD variants where available.

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

I like the concept of this, no doubt borrowing from what Sky did a couple of years back although Virgin are retaining the existing package structure too.

Some very quick maths - I make it £24 difference between Player & Full House, the packs are £10 initially plus £7 each so at 2 packs there's probably enough of a saving to justify going pick&mix rather than Full House. At 3 packs, you may as well go Full House - not unlike the Sky Sports pricing model. Each pack seems to include HD variants where available.

The new Full House lineup doesn't contain the Pay TV Kids channels, so I imagine the New Full House will have to be cheaper.

Going on Virgin Media only seem to be selling the following tiers: Player, Player+Drama (or other bundle), Full House (now without Pay TV kids channels) and V.VIP based on the new table on their website.

japitts
Super solver
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Excellently spotted re the kids channels - I'd skimmed through the list but kids are right at the bottom, funny that :-)

As you say, the "new" Full House should by rights be £5 cheaper than the existing one. Bet it's not, and the rebranding is a price rise in disguise.

0 Kudos
DavidJ
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For those interested, "jj20x" posted this news on another board over a week ago and he's just posted about some more changes to come. Take a look here:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thread/17032-breaking-news-new-subscription-packs-on-virgin-media/

Hopefully this is just the beginning of VM being more flexible about what channels you are able to choose from. I would prefer much smaller packs and essentially only paying for the actual channels you want to watch.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i don't see there ever being a true picknmix selection ie mr bloggs wants, nickelodeon, sky news, itv4 and the crime and investigation channel. they then pay £1 a month.

i think the change now is only happening because virgin/sky/bt are running scared of netflix/amazon/disney channel/apple channel. if people could literally pick just say 8 channels across the board too many would go out of business. choice would disappear. channels like talking pictures, vice, horse and country etc, minority channels would cease to exist as their market share would be minimal, rather than a flat rate across the board payment.

the customer would have a true choice but quickly find that choice becomes very limited.