Menu
Highlighted
Juventino
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Netflix issues

Last night we tried watching a program on Netflix via the V6 box but got the sorry this program is unavailable at the moment please try later message, we tried a few times and got the same message. I went to Netflix via the built-in TV app and it worked instantly without problems. In fact there has never been an issue with the built-in app on the TV freezing at 25% or anything else really. Consequently, I tend to use the TV app for Netflix if I have control of the remotes, which is not that often, my wife or kids on the other hand will use whichever remote they have in their hands at the time which is normally the V6 remote so they always try Netflix  through the V6 and then complain it doesn't work. My question is what the hell is wrong with the app on the V6 box, why does it do this so often and is Virgin really trying to fix it? Or, is it always going to be a faulty app that sometimes works and other times doesn't and we have to live with it? Is there a definitive answer?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix issues

Sounds like your Hub to V6 connection is flakey.  What are the connections?  That is, the TV & V6 are connected to each other by an HDMI cable.  But how are they each connected to your Hub?  Are they both on wifi or both on ethernet cable or one of each ?  Have you tried channel 204 on the V6?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Juventino
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Both the TV and V6 box are fed from the same switch. I've tried switching ports on the switch and cables makes no difference. The internet is usually solid I'm on the vivid 200 service. Channel 204 is how we usually access Netflix on the V6 box, is there another way to get Netflix on the V6 without using channel 204? Prior to using the switch I used powerline units for the wired connections and that was definitely more flakey with regular drop outs. The feed from the hub is now stable. The reason I posted is because I sense there is something definitely not right with Netflix on the V6, whether its the app or the fact it is carried by Virgin or something else I don't know but I have always had problems even when I had the previous TiVo box which was really pants.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Channel 204 simply invokes the V6 Netflix app.

I suggest you perform a speedtest on the V6 to see what speed your connection mechanism is delivering.

Navigate as follows:

Home > Help & Settings > Help > Our Other Products > Broadband > Take a Speed Test > 

When you get the Start TV Speed Test button, press Play, not OK, to get the download, upload and ping detail.

Report that here for comment.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PS It would be useful also to do a

Check your network test

from within the V6 Netflix app

This checks you are connected to 3 Netflix servers and does a speedtest as well.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Juventino
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie_C, OK but I will have to do that tonight and post the details tomorrow.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem. I, too, have the 200Mb broadband service and, with my V6 WiFi-connected to the 5GHz signal from my Hub 3.0, each of these speedtests shows a download speed of around 115Mb and my Netflix works perfectly through both V6 and Smart TV apps.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Juventino
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Test results show no issues with either. I don't think there is an issue with the equipment or connection.

Netflix Test via V6.jpgSpeed test V6.jpg

0 Kudos
Juventino
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to say that the same thing happened again today. V6 box failed and the TV app worked perfectly. As you can see from the pics I’ve pasted in the previous post the connections are good. Makes little sense really.

0 Kudos
Juventino
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Any ideas?

0 Kudos