Menu
ma33a2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Install & set up V+ box

I have received a new 'V6 'box for my lounge but have yet to set it up.

What I would like to know is if I can install & set up the 'V+ box' that was in the lounge, in my bedroom?  Currently in my bedroom is an original Virgin 'V box' (no recording facility on these).  I don't suppose it will be as easy as swap the  connectors from the old box to the 'V+' and go but I really don't know.

I am looking for a step by step guide preferably, and understand there was a pdf file at one time but I can't find it.  If anyone can help it would be much appreciated :-)

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Install & set up V+ box

Hi The problem is how much longer these boxes will work as they are being fazed out. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are having a box swap (recording box for recording box). When you install the V6 the V+HD will be automatically deactivated & is no longer authorised, so it will no longer work even if you do manage to plug it in. The VHD will continue to work as it is the non-recording box on your account.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
ma33a2
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh I didn't know that.
Thank you
0 Kudos
ma33a2
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wow, I didn't know that. When I spoke to customer services to accept the offer of a V6 box, I told her that I would replace it with the oldest box that doesn't record and she said okay, but perhaps she didn't realize what I meant.
Would I be able to get a new box for my bedroom? The one I have is ancient and every so often it stops working and needs some jiggery pokery (techincal term...not) to get it working again.
0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

But we don't know which box is being swapped. You may find that when you call up to activate the V6 box, your standard definition V box (not a V HD) will be deactivated and in this scenario you would swap it with the V+ HD which would remain working, and it is just as simple as moving the box and swapping the connectors.

If it's the V+ that's deactivated, I would ring back up and tell them they've switched off the wrong box and get them to reactivated it. When getting a V6 upgrade, they usually recommend decomissioning the oldest box which in your case is the V box so see what happens.

Having thought about it, it would probably be best to call up and get this arranged prior to activating the V6.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
ma33a2
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, I rang this afternoon and asked to swap my older V Box to either a V+ or TIVO and it was confirmed that no more V+ boxes will be issued.  I could have a Tivo for £7.50 per month but the activation fee would be £69.95, or they would let me have two V6 boxes with the activation fee of £69.95 for one of them (the other V6 being installed by me at some point and no charge to activate).

I can't justify spending £70 so unless the price drops I'll stick with my old Vbox in the bedroom.

0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They're not understanding the issue. They don't need to issue another V+ box since you already have one. It is the standard V box that needs to be deactivated. I would advise ringing again and selecting the "thinking of leaving us" option as this gets you through to UK Customer Services/Retentions. Just explain that you want the V box deactivating and the V+ box to remain on your account. There's no reason why they shouldn't do this instead of making things difficult for you. You can see from my signature that I have a V6 and a V+ as part of my package.

Another option would be to report the V box as faulty and it'll be replaced with a V6 or TiVo free of charge since they are the only boxes now stocked.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos