Menu
Reply
  • 15.83K
  • 1.65K
  • 3.58K
Superuser
Superuser
753 Views
Message 11 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box

“will end the year”

Assuming more than half of Virgin Media customers already have V6, that objective has already been met and there is no further need for the free V6 promotion.

Re the TiVo/V6 charge being £5, that is completely true.

For the first of either box, the £5 is included in the bundle charge.

For subsequent TiVos, the charge in total used to be £11.50, being the £5 TiVo charge plus the £6.50 additional box charge.

When V6 came in, the charge for additional V6s was set at £7.50, to include the £5 V6 charge.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19
  • 0
  • 0
chrisw0161
Joining in
748 Views
Message 12 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@Ernie_C wrote:

“will end the year”

Assuming more than half of Virgin Media customers already have V6, that objective has already been met and there is no further need for the free V6 promotion.

Re the TiVo/V6 charge being £5, that is completely true.

For the first of either box, the £5 is included in the bundle charge.

For subsequent TiVos, the charge in total used to be £11.50, being the £5 TiVo charge plus the £6.50 additional box charge.

When V6 came in, the charge for additional V6s was set at £7.50, to include the £5 V6 charge.


Do you work for Virgin?

I only ask because you seem to be making some quite big assumptions with that statement unless you have inside knowledge. Also the stated press release didn't mention any target figures and certainly didn't say that when more than half have got one it will end. Why is that some members on here seem so focused on defending Virgin when anyone asks a perfectly reasonable question?

Another excerpt:  'Starting today Virgin Media is offering existing Virgin TV customers a free upgrade to its V6 box', admittedly it doesn't say ALL customers but it certainly gives that impression.

Please go and read the whole statement and tell me if you interpret it differently.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-gives-its-customers-a...

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19.74K
  • 2.02K
  • 3.77K
Superuser
Superuser
738 Views
Message 13 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@chrisw0161 wrote:

No you are wrong. I have quoted an announcement from January THIS year and when you say 'it was also on here that the offer was finishing on 19 April this year', could you provide a link please because I can't find it in any press release from Virgin.


How about this page which makes it clear:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/customer/freeupgrade.html

**********************************
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19
  • 0
  • 0
chrisw0161
Joining in
729 Views
Message 14 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@BenMcr wrote:

@chrisw0161 wrote:

No you are wrong. I have quoted an announcement from January THIS year and when you say 'it was also on here that the offer was finishing on 19 April this year', could you provide a link please because I can't find it in any press release from Virgin.


How about this page which makes it clear:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/customer/freeupgrade.html


Thanks for the info, pity Virgin didn't make it clear in their first announcement that it was going to be a limited time offer. Of course the first press release made it into all the national press, I don't think the cancellation statement got such widespread attention. I suppose I was fortunate that I got my FREE upgrade last Friday then.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19
  • 0
  • 0
chrisw0161
Joining in
662 Views
Message 15 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@Ernie_C wrote:

“will end the year”

Assuming more than half of Virgin Media customers already have V6, that objective has already been met and there is no further need for the free V6 promotion.

Re the TiVo/V6 charge being £5, that is completely true.

For the first of either box, the £5 is included in the bundle charge.

For subsequent TiVos, the charge in total used to be £11.50, being the £5 TiVo charge plus the £6.50 additional box charge.

When V6 came in, the charge for additional V6s was set at £7.50, to include the £5 V6 charge.


I'll ask again seeing as you didn't answer first time, do you work for Virgin? If not, how do you make this assumption?

Then why do their own Ts &Cs state '' TiVo/V6: The monthly TiVo/V6 charge is £5 per TiVo box'.

That is PER box, nowhere does it say for the first box only.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 7
  • 0
  • 0
SEB37
Joining in
649 Views
Message 16 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box

chrisw0161

You were indeed fortunate to get your free update last Friday, because before that I was told that it would cost £99 to upgrade.  Trying to upgrade online is not possible, so you have to ring.  The link you have provided in your last post is the first time I have seen it online.

As a new customer, is it possible to get a bundle now without a V6 box?  The only bundles I could find online were for V6 Tivo boxes. 

 Unless you are willing to pay £99 for an upgrade, as an existing customer you are effectively treated as "second class" by Virgin Media.  

What happens when my Tivo box breaks down, which it will eventually, or VM software no longer supports it?

I've been with VM since Nynex first laid the cables.  It doesn't seem to be a good way to treat loyal customers. I didn't upgrade early in the year because there didn't appear to be any rush and then holidays etc came. I have to say I'm not a happy customer at the moment and Sky do keep pestering me.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19.74K
  • 2.02K
  • 3.77K
Superuser
Superuser
645 Views
Message 17 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@chrisw0161 wrote:

Then why do their own Ts &Cs state '' TiVo/V6: The monthly TiVo/V6 charge is £5 per TiVo box'.

That is PER box, nowhere does it say for the first box only.


Yes it's per box, but all quoted prices for new TV box now include it. So as said by @Ernie_C, the monthly cost for an additional box will include the £5 fee as part of the advertised price.

It's still called out in the legal terms as it's part of the TiVo agreements that the TiVo charge applies for any TiVo or V6 boxes, and some customers don't currently pay it where they still have older V HD or V+ HD boxes.

**********************************
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2.19K
  • 321
  • 568
av-115
Problem sorter
641 Views
Message 18 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@BenMcr wrote:

@chrisw0161 wrote:

Then why do their own Ts &Cs state '' TiVo/V6: The monthly TiVo/V6 charge is £5 per TiVo box'.

That is PER box, nowhere does it say for the first box only.


Yes it's per box, but all quoted prices for new TV box now include it. So as said by @Ernie_C, the monthly cost for an additional box will include the £5 fee as part of the advertised price.

It's still called out in the legal terms as it's part of the TiVo agreements that the TiVo charge applies for any TiVo or V6 boxes, and some customers don't currently pay it where they still have older V HD or V+ HD boxes.


No it's wrong. The TiVo/V6 monthly fee is charged once no matter how many boxes are on an account. The "additional TV box" charge that appears on your bill is to the value of £7.50. It is not £5 TiVo monthly fee + £2.50 additional TV box = £7.50. Customers still on pre-September 2016 contracts pay £11.50 (£5 TiVo monthly fee per box + £6.50 additional TV box charge. That section of their T&Cs page hasn't been updated since 2016, indeed it still makes references to V HD boxes which clearly haven't been offered for years and have no relevance now.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 19.74K
  • 2.02K
  • 3.77K
Superuser
Superuser
638 Views
Message 19 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box

So you can link to the amended T&Cs that say it's per account and not per box then?
**********************************
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2.19K
  • 321
  • 568
av-115
Problem sorter
626 Views
Message 20 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box


@BenMcr wrote:
So you can link to the amended T&Cs that say it's per account and not per box then?

Clearly not, as the T&Cs are outdated as I've just said. You work for the company, perhaps you could use your influence to get them updated.

What I can link to, is a post by arguably the most knowledgable member of the forum team from last year which backs up what I've said. Click.

To quote:

@Karen_A wrote:

We have recently changed the pricing structure on this [...] removing the TiVo® monthly fee

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Reply