Menu
NewportRd
Just joined
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

How do I upgrade to the new TV box

Hello everyone,

I have a really old virgin media tv box (probably more than 5 or 6 years old by the looks of it) and it's really slow. I've tried to find some information about how to get the new box (TV V6 box?) but cannot find anything helpful. Does anyone of you know what's the best procedure to follow? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I upgrade to the new TV box

Which box do you currently have? Some boxes are currently being upgraded free of charge but that does not currently include the TiVo box.

If you have a TiVo, there is currently a one-off charge to upgrade but, as always, a call to Retentions may reduce the charge.

0 Kudos
SEB37
Joining in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I currently have a Full House TV (XL) package with Sky Cinema 1 & 2, plus Sky Sports, VIVID 150 Broadband and Talk Unlimited, with a Tivo box.  I rang up today to see about an upgrade to the V6 box.  As an existing customer, I was expecting to only have to pay a £20 activation fee, but was told I would also have to pay £99 for the V6 box.

I note that online, in offers, new customers will get a V6 box for free with a £20 activation fee, whereas existing customers will have to pay £99 + activation.  Says a lot for how much Virgin Media cares for existing customers!  If Sky wasn't even more exorbitant, I would consider moving to them, but I'm certainly not paying £99 for a new box.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

You have been advised the correct current position.

You must have turned down (by not responding) the earlier program to replace the first TiVo in an account free of charge with V6. This program ended in April.

Your only recourse currently to replace a TiVo with V6 for less than the current charge you have been advised is through Retentions.

0 Kudos
SEB37
Joining in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

The fact that Virgin Media are giving away the V6 box free to new customers, whilst charging existing customers, shows how much (or little) they value their existing customers.  What VM should realise is that existing customers promote their product (for free) on behalf of VM - that is, if they are happy with their services.  I probably won't bother recommending the product next time I am asked.  Despite the fact that a VM cable runs outside our house, many of our neighbours are Sky customers and are happy with their product.  Food for thought.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

They're not giving the box away 'for free'

A V6 box is included as part of the minimum term commitment to services that new customers sign up to. Same as TiVo box was included before that, and V+ HD boxes before that.

It's always been the case that if you now want to upgrade to a newer version of the box you have, there may be additional costs than when you're a new customer, depending on the current offers available.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi NewportRd,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with the box being really slow. I have located your account using your Forum details and can see that you have recently called in. I hope this means you have managed to resolve this query with the new box.
Take care,
Louise
Forum Support Team

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
chrisw0161
Joining in
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:
They're not giving the box away 'for free'

A V6 box is included as part of the minimum term commitment to services that new customers sign up to. Same as TiVo box was included before that, and V+ HD boxes before that.

It's always been the case that if you now want to upgrade to a newer version of the box you have, there may be additional costs than when you're a new customer, depending on the current offers available.

I suggest you read Virgins own statement to the media in January 'Starting today Virgin Media is offering existing Virgin TV customers a free upgrade to its V6 box', 'Customers who take a TV and broadband bundle will be able to upgrade their older set-top box for Virgin TV’s smallest, smartest and fastest V6 box at no additional cost and with no re-contract requirements'. 'The vast majority will be able to self-install avoiding the need for an engineer visit'.

David Bouchier, Chief Digital Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media said:

We believe that our finest kit shouldn’t just be for new customers. So today we’re kicking off one of the largest existing customer upgrade programmes ever seen in the UK, accelerating the rollout of our best ever set-top box.

No mention of an end date, no mention of additional fees.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

You have posted the original announcement from way back last year, it was also on here that the offer was finishing on 19 April this year. Which is what happened now all the people that missed the "boat" want to jump aboard.
0 Kudos
chrisw0161
Joining in
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

@LittleMick73 wrote:
You have posted the original announcement from way back last year, it was also on here that the offer was finishing on 19 April this year. Which is what happened now all the people that missed the "boat" want to jump aboard.

No you are wrong. I have quoted an announcement from January THIS year and when you say 'it was also on here that the offer was finishing on 19 April this year', could you provide a link please because I can't find it in any press release from Virgin. The original statement didn't mention any end date and in fact gave the impression that it would run all year with the quote 'In what is one of the largest customer upgrade programmes ever carried out in the UK, Virgin Media is accelerating the rollout of its best-ever box and will end the year with the majority of its TV customers using the next-generation, 4K-ready V6'. Why would they mention the end of the year if it was only going to run until April?

All I have done is quote Virgins own statement and I don't understand why you would want to defend them for not honouring what they said they would do.  Also I don't understand why you would be against other people getting the new box, that by Virgins own admission they are entitled to. I thought by posting on here we were trying to help other members, not tell them they're too late so tough luck. Are you also going to defend them for charging customers £7.50/month per box when their own Ts & Cs state 'TiVo/V6: The monthly TiVo/V6 charge is £5 per TiVo box'.

By the way, I got the new V6 box swapped for my Tivo box last Friday 28th Sept by insisting they honour their statement.

0 Kudos