Menu
Highlighted
Baradour
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

History channed hd channel change recordings not working

Hi

I recorded a series (Knightfall) a while ago, now when I go to watch it I cant watch the first 4 episodes as it says history channel hd is no longer available.

Looking further into it it looks like the first 4 episodes were recorded on History channel HD : channel  number 245 and the last 6 on history channel hd : channel number 299. 

How can the change of channel number prevent me from watching something I've recorded onto my Tivo ?? especially when I'm still subscribed to the channel ?

And how can I watch those episodes now ???

Ashley (the not very impressed at the moment)

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: History channed hd channel change recordings not working

You recorded these while all TV bundles had access to the History HD channel during the period when UKTV and Virgin Media were in dispute. This channel returned to the Full House bundle when the dispute was resolved.

The only way for you to watch these recordings now is to upgrade to the Full House bundle.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Baradour
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

As it happens I HAVE the full house bundle so I can watch History Channel HD but its now on channel 299. the recordings I made back when it was on channel 245 I am no longer able to watch.

The problem seems to be the switch over (by Virgin) from channels 245 to 299 - though I could be wrong.

Ashley

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem is that you can't have 2 channels on the network with the same ID.

History HD. on 245 was a temporary channel. History HD (without the dot) on 299 became the permanent one.

The metadata for History HD. in common with Virgins standard policy continued to be transmitted in the background for a further three months after the channel closed, then it is removed, hence your recordings will no longer play.

Its another reminder (if you needed one) that recording of content on Virgin is licenced for timeshifting purposes only, & are not intended for archiving.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Baradour
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure 4 months after the first episode, 1 1/2 months after the last episode can really be classed as Archiving 😞

Seems a bit rubbish that I cant watch a show I recorded as part of a packaged I paid for, that I still pay for because Virgin decided to make a change to the channel number.

Ashley

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Its happened before & I dare say it will happen again.

A good example was Sky Arts 2, which was axed a while ago leading to anyone with recordings off the channel losing them while the main Sky Arts channel continued to operate. On this occasion Sky's own customers were also affected.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Were they? As a Sky customer (for TV) whenever a channel closes the recordings remain available indefinitely, with no 3 month limit. I still have some recordings from ITV Encore which closed in May. After a quick search the only reference I can find to Sky Arts 2 recordings being lost relates to Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Baradour
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah well I've found it on Amazon so will just have to buy and stream the first 4.

That'll teach me to be a bit more pompt in future.

Thanks for the replies

Ashley

0 Kudos