Menu
Highlighted
RichardBayliss
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HD channels not showing full screen

None of the HD channels via Virgin Media appear full screen on my TV screen. If I play the available HD chnnels on the TV direct via the aerial feed, they are fine. This has become a problem now that BT Sport channels have movevd to HD only. My Virgin box says V Box.on the front.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Wise owl
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HD channels not showing full screen

@RichardBayliss wrote:

My Virgin box says V Box.on the front.

There's your problem.  It is getting close to obsolete.

Call "Retentions" on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "thinking of leaving" then “technical issues” – (They are open Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. - 08.01 is best!) you have a better chance of getting a UK call centre.  Explain the problem and say you are considering getting a SkyQ package because of this and they will probably arrange you a free upgrade to a Tivo.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes, Superhub2 with VIVID 200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Upgrades from VHD & V+ boxes are free now anyway.

Only people wanting to swap an older TiVO with a V6 are being charged, unless they renew their package at the same time.

If the OP only has this box then a package upgrde should actually be cheaper.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

av-115
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes the box is obsolete, but that doesn't mean the OP shouldn't be given the option of fixing the issue with their current equipment even if only in the short term.

OP, press Home > Settings > Change display & audio settings, and change the format to "1080 wide". If connected via scart, change to 16:9. The HD channels will now fill the screen properly. Note that the info banners and epg/menus will also now be in widescreen.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
RichardBayliss
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you jbrennand,  nodrogd, and av-115 for  your very helpful answers. 

I was able to change the settings, as suggested but I will pursue a box upgrade as also suggested. I now have widescreen (via HDMI socket) and the picture is good but the onscreen info is stretched. That isn't imprtant but perhaps an upgrade will fix this?

0 Kudos
av-115
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When you get the V6 box, the interface will be completely different. The menus will still be in widescreen but they won't look "stretched". For what it's worth, I've always found the V+ & V HD boxes to have a superior picture in terms of the upscaling from SD to HD, but the V6 is leaps and bounds ahead in almost every other aspect, so it's a small trade off. 

Soon you'll get messages on your box notifying you that you can upgrade which comes across as urgent in nature, but the boxes won't be withdrawn for at least a good six months so do it whenever you're ready. Also it may be best to speak to Retentions as jbrennand advised as you are likely to make savings by re-contracting on to a more current package, rather than just doing a straight box swap.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos