Menu
huxVM
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Free upgrade of VHD Box?

Hi,

Over the past week I've received a number of phone calls from Virgin (allegedly) saying that I was eligible for a free upgrade of my VHD Box, and that if I didn't upgrade the box would stop working.

Does anyone know if this is a genuine offer from Virgin?

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free upgrade of VHD Box?

it is genuine and your VHD box will stop working.  not sure when

0 Kudos
huxVM
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks arrgee1991 will get back in touch with customer support.

I must say it seems a poor way of advertising the offer by virigin i.e. no email, no letter,etc just a cold call from a rather dodgy sounding call centre.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I see from your profile you have only just signed up, but the fact that certain boxes are being fazed out has been on the forum going back a long time so it has been aired on many occasions, however I agree they should have sent letters to people with the boxes affected, for a communications company they do fall short on contact.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Before Christmas there were on-screen messages popping up on all V+ & V HD boxes stating customers were eligible for a box upgrade. It also contained a link to the non-functioning very crap My Virgin Media upgrade page.

At the moment V HD boxes are in the "could swap" rather than "must swap" category so the letters haven't gone out to those customers yet, but they will in due course. When that happens you generally get a few months notice before any loss of service and an additional grace period for the hold-outs. Don't listen to what they say on the phone they'll tell you anything.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
huxVM
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info.  I don't remember seeing any on-screen messages.  Not to worry I'll get in touch with customer support once I receive some form of official communication from them.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They will replace it for free with a Tivo - which IMHO is "pants". I refused a free upgrade for my mancave's VHD box as I hated the Tivo we had in the lounge - terrible interface and slow. When we swapped to the V6 it was a revelation - I immediately called up to swap the VHD for a second V6 and paid for the upgrade happily.
Moral is... keep your eyes open for any VM "upgrade to V6" offers, or when you are out of contract.. start negotiating with "Retentions" to see if they will upgrade you to V6 at substantial discount in lieu of starting a new 1y contract.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They will replace it with a V6 if the OP has VM broadband.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@av-115 wrote:

That's news to me - is that a recent change that I missed or has it always been thus?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jbrennand wrote:

@av-115 wrote:

That's news to me - is that a recent change that I missed or has it always been thus?

V6 has been the default replacement box for faulty V boxes for the last 18 months at least. A TiVo is only given if the customer doesn't have VM broadband. But for the past 6 months (ish) they've been actively swapping them out as part of their efforts to shut down the platform that these boxes run on. There were messages on screen before Christmas advising to ring up for a free upgrade. But basically, when you upgraded your V+ to V6, if you'd done it through faults and said "it's freezing" or "it's stuttering" etc they would have sent a V6 out in the post for free. Most of these boxes still in use will have some sort of fault anyway or be unreliable because they're so old.

0 Kudos