Menu
Jwilson972
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Download/ record tv shows

Hi all,

I have recently changed provider from sky.

On sky I could search for a show, say Eastenders, and a list of the recent episodes would appear. I would then download the past few episodes which would then be stored in my recordings page. I could then come back at a later date and see which episode I had left to watch by the ones which were downloaded.

On virgin however when I want to find recent episodes it takes my directly to iPlayer which just shows me every episode available, not where I’m up to and does not allow me to store them.

Is there anyway I can download previous episodes to be stored directly onto the virgin box without having to use any apps?

Thankyou

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download/ record tv shows

The iPlayer service on Virgin TV is the same BBC provided app as is installed on many smart tv's. You can only stream content, not download it.

The same goes for all TV system On Demand content on Virgin, which operates on a totally different system to Sky.

1) Except for app provided content, the programmes are stored on Virgins headend servers, & requesting a programme creates a unique MPEG4 broadcast stream that only your box can "tune into" on your section of the network. Recording of any content not on the EPG is not possible. This facility is totally seperate from your broadband connection.

2) Downloading on Sky is provided as not every customer has a high speed connection, something that is not required on Virgin. Not to mention that streaming any programme uses internet bandwidth which slows your connection.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Jwilson972
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So in short it cannot be done?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Jwilson972 wrote:

So in short it cannot be done?

To cable TV boxes, No. There is no download agreement with the broadcasters as they deem it not necessary for the reasons mentioned in point 2 of my post above.

There is now the facility to download some content to portable devices, but that's it.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can set up a Series Link+ for Eastenders that includes recordings and streamings, this will show all the episodes available on demand in "My Shows" and record new episodes as they are shown on TV, as you watch the on demand episodes from iPlayer you can then delete the link to them from "My Shows", exactly like you would delete a recording. The TiVo solution is slightly neater as it keeps everything together and will replace on demand stuff with recordings if it can, the only downside is that it doesn't download the on demand episode to the box, so you do need to watch it before it is removed from iPlayer. 

This can also be used to automatically pick up new series of shows from all on demand services (including Netflix) as they become available and they will appear in "My Shows" just like a regular recording.

0 Kudos
Jwilson972
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I do series link but I also watch some episodes live, so when I go back to watch the episodes I miss it’s almost impossible to find the gaps where I haven’t watched with how many episodes there are 

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you go through and delete the on demand links\recordings for the episodes you've seen from the folder in "My Shows" (bit of a hassle, but you'll only need to do it once) and then delete each one as you watch them then the folder should only contain the episodes you haven't seen, whether those are recordings or from iPlayer. When you delete a recording you will get a choice of something like "Delete" or "Delete and replace with bookmark", you need to pick the one that doesn't add a bookmark. 

0 Kudos