Menu
cowgirl
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do I need to buy my old recordings on my tivo box at Virgin Media Store

Help me please.

I have an old tivo box as I got it with my package but have religiously recorded programs to view later when I can get time. I thought once I had recorded the program I could view it at my leisure but just thought I would have a Dr Who binge only to find that I must use the Virgin Media Store.

Does that mean that when I sign up for this purpose I have to pay for my recordings? If so I wish I had done it all on Sky as there I can keep my recordings until I want them.

I don't understand all this modern stuff and am totally frustrated now that we are all being pushed into apps and pay for this and that. I thought I already did by having the tivo box?

This has disappointed me so much as being of the older generation (I bet you can tell ) I haven't got money to use when I thought I had already got the service with the tivo.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I need to buy my old recordings on my tivo box at Virgin Media Store

Well you are under several misapprehensions about how VM TV works so we'll try and explain and keep it simple.

VM's TiVO boxes will record programs for later viewing but are not intended for long term storage. The agreement that VM has with the rights holders for these programmes allow you record them and view them later on the condition that your TiVO remains connected to the VM network with a valid VM TV subscription which covers each and every of channels that you have recorded.  That is normally not an issue with the main five terrestrial channels. YOu always have those in every TV package from VM. But it can be an issue for the optional channels that come with each package

None of this is anything to to do with buying films and such like from the VM store or paying extra for something that you have already paid for. 

VM's agreement with the rights holders may be different from that which Sky TV has. But that is how a competitive market works. If you prefer Sky TV, stick with them. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Generally when you record a program on the TiVo it will remain viewable indefinitely, as long as you still have a subscription to the channel it was recorded from (if you change your package to one that doesn't contain the channel, or you leave virgin completely then you can no longer watch recordings, this is the same on Sky).

However, there was some reorganisation of channels earlier this year, with channels being replaced by the HD versions and other channels like Gold and Dave moving around, in some of these cases because the original channel has been moved or replaced the recordings from it also become unwatchable, VM left these old channels active for a while to let people watch recordings but they have now been fully removed, which may explain the problem you're seeing.   

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Another thing to consider - the default settings are often to only keep 10 recordings in a series, and then the box will delete the older ones (watched or not)  when new ones are broadcast.  You can change these default settings for all the recording settings or just individual ones.  So do check the default settings are doing what YOU want them to do.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
cowgirl
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I understand it I have had the BBC 1 channel from the very beginning so is it possible for me to just sign up for the Virgin Media store to see mine there then? I don't usually liek to sign up for something and put my payment card details on before I know what it will do.

from HowardML's  reply he is correct I never thought I would need to read about things I didn't need - I keep the likes of Netflix at arms length  so just need to know if I sign up will i have to pay/

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

EDIT: Deleted duplicate info.

The good news is that for Doctor Who there is solution. The BBC have put all of Doctor Who onto iPlayer. So all you have to do is use the iPlayer service on your box and you can watch any episode for no additional cost. This may not be there forever, but it should help for now.

You can get to iPlayer by pressing Red on any BBC channel

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
cowgirl
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you that is wonderful news I will do that. I will have my Dr Who binge after all then.

One happy lady here for that info and now I know I will make sure that I don't leave future recordings too long before watching them.

Thank you all for helping me- appreciate it..

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The one big advantage that the TiVo has over the V6 is a SCART socket, so you can copy your recordings onto a DVD recorder. I've done this many times.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection