Menu
TobyTyler77
Superfast
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Customers that left Virgin.

I wonder how many customers that are currently in the process of leaving Virgin are regretting being so hasty and are scrambling to cancel the new contracts they've entered into with new providers, when Virgin have got their act together there's no other provider that can compete with them.

0 Kudos
NotGoodEnough
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Customers that left Virgin.

@TobyTyler77 wrote:

I wonder how many customers that are currently in the process of leaving Virgin are regretting being so hasty and are scrambling to cancel the new contracts they've entered into with new providers, when Virgin have got their act together there's no other provider that can compete with them.

Next to none. Comes down to trust. People don't accept being messed around. and let's face it, it was just the last straw for many, hardly an isolated incident and people realise that Virgin Media's plans for the future are not in keeping with their own values. Then when the inevitable price rises come into affect, people will realise that other providers have more appropriate business models.

0 Kudos
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@TobyTyler77 wrote:

I have no regrets leaving the TV service, I find SkyQ far better for me (I have kept Virgin broadband).  I don't see what you are assessing when you say 'no other provider can compete with them'.  Purely broadband speed then yes, they have the fastest, but not necessarily the best.  Certainly for TV Sky for me has been cheaper, more channels and I have it in 3 rooms as opposed to my full house being in 1 room. 

So no, I don't regret it and what you state is maybe true for you (only if you have BT Sport or a massive discount will Virgin be cheaper like for like), but definitely not for me.  BTW, I left a month before  the UKTV issue.  As has also been pointed out, they a number of customers will have lost faith with Virgin and I find their support being one of the most difficult to contact and ineffective of any ISP/TV provider that I have been with.

S60 Area 14
Utilisation Fault: F006248376
Fix: 01/06/2018 - missed
Fix: 27/06/2018 - Fixed 9/6/18
0 Kudos
grahamtriggs
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@TobyTyler77 wrote:

Probably very few. Many of the people that have said they are leaving are also saying that the packages they have been offered by Sky are cheaper than Virgin's - and they get more channels that they want (e.g. Sky Atlantic).

In terms of operation, it's a little bit swings and roundabouts between V6 and Sky Q - but the things that I prefer about the V6 EPG are also likely to disappear when they replace the UI (such as broadcast dates).

Virgin have never been able to better Sky on what they provide as TV content. It's only recently that Virgin has a few channels that Sky doesn't have - but I think most people would rather have Sky Atlantic, more Ultra HD content, etc. than Love Nature and ZooMoo.

The only thing that Virgin has ever offered that the competition can't touch is the broadband speeds. Although that gap will start to close over the next few years.

In short, a few people might think that maybe they could have waited a little longer - but I doubt anyone will properly regret it unless their new service provision starts to fall short.

0 Kudos
grahamtriggs
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@NMJToolbox wrote:

lost faith with Virgin and I find their support being one of the most difficult to contact and ineffective of any ISP/TV provider that I have been with.

Hilariously, since raising a complaint on one account over the UKTV debacle, and instructing BT to transfer the phone number of another account (multiple accounts in one household - these are now being closed to be replaced with a more streamlined provision), Virgin can't seem to stop contacting me!

0 Kudos
NotGoodEnough
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I finally got the online chat to work last week to confirm on 'paper' my last date. (I didn't trust them not to have extended it) I ticked the box to get a copy of the transcript emailed to me. Even that didn't work - nothing arrived. Fortunately due to lack of trust, I had taken my own screenshot.

0 Kudos
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@TobyTyler77 wrote:

I am not regretting it.

We are saving nearly £300 a year by moving, admittedly we could have done better with any provider if we had all 3 TV/BB/phone but never wanted to change, I am now paying less per month than I was with Virginmedia and no separate phone bill it’s all in one.

I am pleased that all the UKTV programs are back, but it gave us the push we needed.

NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I know it is only anecdotal but finally, after a month of asking I got my V6 returns packaging and took it to my local Collect+ store.  When I walked in the lady at the counter saw the black bagged box and said 'Virgin Box?'.  I said yes and she called to a colleague 'another one going back'.  She took my parcel, gave me a receipt and put it in a pile where there was another 2 identical packages.  So, there were 3 going back from one area from one collect+ store (there are 3 stores within a mile or so of me).  So extrapolate what you will but if that is the kind of returns (granted they are probably not all to do with UKTV, mine wasn't) then VM are/were losing a not insignificant number of customers, at least for TV.

S60 Area 14
Utilisation Fault: F006248376
Fix: 01/06/2018 - missed
Fix: 27/06/2018 - Fixed 9/6/18
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Toodles
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I left - bought a freeview box and dumped the land line and TV - kept the broadband.

saved £65.00 a MONTH 👍

We realised that’s the free view channels were the ones we watched the most and use Netflix / amazon for on demand.

I can’t thank VM enough for demonstrating that we didn’t need their service and for showing exactly how much they respect customers from the NTL days..

All round it appears everyone’s a winner, many left, many are now getting discounts on their packages, most people are aware that VM aren’t the only game in town.

cant wait for the blowback from this in the next quarter - expect some blood on the boardroom floor..🤣

Gaspode64
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The situation forced me to do the research and I will still probably leave as I can save a fair amount of money by changing my TV package to Sky - the whole fiasco has been so badly handled that I have no reason to show any loyalty to Virgin -and the crowing they are now doing in regard to having resolved an issue of their own making is quite frankly embarrassing.....

0 Kudos