Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Channel 4 starts transition to HD only this Thursday

@japitts wrote:

I'm ever so curious how full all of the "HD fills up our disk too fast" brigade's HDD's actually are?

Ok so HD does take up more disk space, but do these users actually have a problem with the space.. are they getting near 90% full? Or just upset because they're at 70% when they'd like to be at 55%, say.

Genuinely curious.

When you consider the purpose of the hard disk (as per Virgins licence for making copies on it) is to record for timeshifting reasons, 1TB should be more than enough. But of course, as there is no time limit on these recordings, the temptation is to build a library of your favourate programmes. The issue with this is when the box goes kaput you lose everything. If you change your package & remove channels after a time the recordings are also disabled.

Well, as far as the HDD is concerned the end is nigh. Europe has now started transision to the Horizon 4 UI, & with it a diskless V6 box that stores as much as you want in the cloud, but with a time limit. Looks like the content owners are finally getting their own way, & if you want to store something long term you will have to pay for the privilege.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
praxis
Rising star
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

I'm ever so curious how full all of the "HD fills up our disk too fast" brigade's HDD's actually are?

Ok so HD does take up more disk space, but do these users actually have a problem with the space.. are they getting near 90% full? Or just upset because they're at 70% when they'd like to be at 55%, say.

Genuinely curious.

Think the issue with HDD filling up comes into play if you are the type of person who records stuff that you want to keep there was a post on here a few years back that stated the VM customer had his HD full of what he called classic football matches and he did not want to loose them.Same can be said if you have a favourite Tv show/ Movie that you want to keep.In the pre HD era that would not have been an issue but now that HD/4K is the norm a 1 Tb HD fills a lot quicker.A full day’s coverage of MotoGP on a Sunday in HD can run to 80-100Gb do the math on that it only covers 10 races of a 18 race season.And unless you have one of those magic boxes that allows you to remove and archive these recordings at some point something is going to have to go.The way forward would be for VM,Sky& BT to have a (Cloud storage option) that allows you to keep recordings long term for a nominal monthly fee.But the Tv suppliers are so analy retentive that they will use the copyright laws to block that before it starts.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@japitts wrote:

Genuinely curious.

When you consider the purpose of the hard disk (as per Virgins licence for making copies on it) is to record for timeshifting reasons, 1TB should be more than enough. But of course, as there is no time limit on these recordings, the temptation is to build a library of your favourite programmes. The issue with this is when the box goes kaput you lose everything. If you change your package & remove channels after a time the recordings are also disabled.

Well, as far as the HDD is concerned the end is nigh. Europe has now started transision to the Horizon 4 UI, & with it a diskless V6 box that stores as much as you want in the cloud, but with a time limit. Looks like the content owners are finally getting their own way, & if you want to store something long term you will have to pay for the privilege.

Generally I am 90-99% full.  Not a case of keeping favorite programmes, just a matter of watching series in the right order.  There are 11 seasons of Frasier and they broadcast 2-3 daily and I am not at home when that happens.  I am about 3 seasons behind.

Similar with The Simpsons, heaven knows how many seasons of that.

If All 4 and Sky had Frasier and The Simpsons on demand (without ads or at least fast forward), I wouldn't bother recording them.  Likewise if Sky and BT Sport had complete matches on demand (as they do in France), I wouldn't record those either and my space requirements would be a lot smaller.

I suspect 90% of recordings are a waste of time as the programming is more or less constantly available on iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 etc.

The only problem is when you are halfway through a series and it gets pulled (Just two weeks left on Walking Dead), so those series have to recorded.

Must admit the old virgin boxes were great for getting shows off unlike the V6 which is pretty closed.

0 Kudos
praxis
Rising star
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@japitts wrote:

Genuinely curious.

When you consider the purpose of the hard disk (as per Virgins licence for making copies on it) is to record for timeshifting reasons, 1TB should be more than enough. But of course, as there is no time limit on these recordings, the temptation is to build a library of your favourite programmes. The issue with this is when the box goes kaput you lose everything. If you change your package & remove channels after a time the recordings are also disabled.

Generally I am 90-99% full.  Not a case of keeping favorite programmes, just a matter of watching series in the right order.  There are 11 seasons of Frasier and they broadcast 2-3 daily and I am not at home when that happens.  I am about 3 seasons behind.

Similar with The Simpsons, heaven knows how many seasons of that.

If All 4 and Sky had Frasier and The Simpsons on demand (without ads or at least fast forward), I wouldn't bother recording them.  Likewise if Sky and BT Sport had complete matches on demand (as they do in France), I wouldn't record those either and my space requirements would be a lot smaller.

I suspect 90% of recordings are a waste of time as the programming is more or less constantly available on iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 etc.

The only problem is when you are halfway through a series and it gets pulled (Just two weeks left on Walking Dead), so those series have to recorded.

Must admit the old virgin boxes were great for getting shows off unlike the V6 which is pretty closed.

The V6 is far from closed it has a door you just need to find it.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@praxis wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

Yes, I know there are ways but none as convenient as the two scart output where you could copy a season of shows off to a hard disk while watching the current transmissions.
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @Praxis and @Nodrogd - entirely as I suspected, long term storage. In some ways you can't blame people for doing it, but for them to then complain when their disk gets full feels a little rich.

@arrgee1991 - I have some sympathy with the series stacking idea though.. I recently discovered Madam Secretary when S5 started its run. I've got through S1-S3 on VOD, but now missing S4 while S5 merrily records away. In principle, until S4 reappears on VOD I won't be doing much with S5 recordings....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

Thanks @Praxis and @Nodrogd - entirely as I suspected, long term storage. In some ways you can't blame people for doing it, but for them to then complain when their disk gets full feels a little rich.

@arrgee1991 - I have some sympathy with the series stacking idea though.. I recently discovered Madam Secretary when S5 started its run. I've got through S1-S3 on VOD, but now missing S4 while S5 merrily records away. In principle, until S4 reappears on VOD I won't be doing much with S5 recordings....

You can set up a wish list called pilot, this will pick up the first episode of most shows, you would have to set up excludes like fighter balloon airplane to stop it recording shows about actual pilots but it's a nice way of finding new shows

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@praxis wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

Yes, I know there are ways but none as convenient as the two scart output where you could copy a season of shows off to a hard disk while watching the current transmissions.

You are referring to the V+ HD. I had the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB which I got for £75 (50% off the usual £150) which worked really well although it lacked an MPEG-4 decoder so all of these should have been replaced by now. I still have the manual which explains on p9 how to copy onto physical media, section entitled Copy to VCR/DVD.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I think some people will just fill their hard drives up whatever size you give them. We've gone from 160GB V+ to 500GB TiVo to 1TB V6 and people can still max them out. Why buck that trend on a 2TB or even 4TB drive? Having said that I'm surprised VM didn't offer 2TB as a premium option for their V6 (and charged extra for the privilege) to compete with Sky.

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

@praxis wrote:

@arrgee1991 wrote:

You are referring to the V+ HD. I had the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB which I got for £75 (50% off the usual £150) which worked really well although it lacked an MPEG-4 decoder so all of these should have been replaced by now. I still have the manual which explains on p9 how to copy onto physical media, section entitled Copy to VCR/DVD.

Copying programs from the V6 is a pain in the a***. The additional equipment required, not being able to watch other shows during transfer and the fact that you can't get proper RGB colour from these HDMI to Scart adapters puts me off. I used to regularly copy films from my V+ to DVD but don't bother so much nowadays because a lot of it is available on demand somewhere. Must admit I'm glad I received the newer V+ when I signed up to VM, when the Scientific Atlanta boxes were being withdrawn those customers weren't offered the choice of swapping to the Samsung variant and had to take TiVo instead.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
michaeldavis
Well-informed
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As this only affects CH4 in the London Area, presumably it should not affect CH4 +1 which is not in HD so all most people need to do is change their series links from CH4 to CH4 +1.

You can't learn anything from a mistake until you admit that you've made it.