Menu
Highlighted
Kylewhitten
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Catch up bad quality?

Hi all, 

just got virgin media and been watching I’m a celeb on catch up and the quality is terrible! Is there a reason for this as in a different setting? 

I have of 200mbps so it is not an internet issue? Sky’s quality is top notch with no issues and very disappointed in this. 

hope this can be fixed. Can someone help? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Catch up bad quality?

Nothing to do with your internet connection or speed.

Apart from the BBC & Sky Cinema, all Catch up and most On Demand content is output through Virgins broadcast playout system from their cable headend servers. When you request a programme the system creates a unique broadcast stream targeted specifically at your network segment & your box then tunes to this stream as if it was a requested TV channel. Bit rates on these streams can vary, so if the bit rate of the stream is less than the bit rate of the recording it can end up looking inferior.

The only way to get round this is if the broadcasters pay to develop a TiVO app as they have done with Sky boxes. Unfortunately the majority have chosen not too at this time.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

japitts
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

By means of an experiment, can you try some CatchUp content from other broadcasters - see if it's an ITV-specific thing, maybe SD-only etc.

Channel 5 offers CatchUp in HD & SD, C4 & ITV are SD-only, BBC is app-based. Sky channels are also available in HD in many cases.

Also which TV box do you have? It's probably possible to record your programs and negate the need to use CatchUp.

0 Kudos
Kylewhitten
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the new V6 box only had it installed yesterday. 

the only reason I did catch up was because it is a brand new box and missed the last couple of days of the show and thought it would be handier that having to plug in the sky box again. 

Thanks for your reply 

0 Kudos