Menu
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 21 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

It will be fed from a V6. Are you saying that just won't work?

By the way, I'm not interested in watching 4K off the Virgin box upstairs, only Netflix and Amazon which are both directly off the internet via the WiFi.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Knows their stuff
Message 22 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

Very few people can tell you how it will work. This is why I said that you are on your own. If you run into a problem, how can you rule out this extender?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 23 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I guess if it really came down to it I could spend some more money (!!) and get one of these converters to downscale the signal to HDMI 1.4.

I think what I'll do is get the new kit and connect it up on the floor in my lounge to check whether it'll work, just using an RJ45 cable between the TX and RX boxes. If it does I'll go ahead and run in the extra Cat6 cable to the bedroom, if not I can return the kit.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Knows their stuff
Message 24 of 44
Flag for a moderator

A word of warning about those converters: you never know if they will work. I've bought two and neither worked well.

You are making life difficult for yourself by insisting that you must have a completely clear wall with just the TV hanging on it. Billions of other people are not fussed about a clear wall. If you relocated the TiVo on the ground underneath the TV, it would be only a short HDMI cable to connect to the TV, and you might even be able to get a cable which matches the colour of the wall - or run an HDMI cable along the skirting board from the TiVo to the TV.

--
0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 25 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I realise that.

The TV won't get nearly as much use as the one downstairs, so if it all turns out to be impossible I'll just ditch the 2nd box and get a dish and use the Freesat capability of the TV. I've already run some satellite/cable coax to the back of the TV behind the wall, via the loft. Freesat, and Netflix/Amazon. And the BBC iPlayer and the equivalents from ITV are getting better and better, pretty soon there'll be full HD-quality Live TV via the internet.

That's kind of what I was going to do anyway, until Virgin told me I could have a cheaper TV package with two boxes instead of one!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Knows their stuff
Message 26 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Freesat makes sense. And in about 2019, Sky will launch its dishless service over broadband, so if you take that option you won't even need the dish.

--
0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 27 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Freesat currently doesn't have that many channels in HD unfortunately. Not ones I want to watch, anyway.

I think by 2019 certainly the BBC, and hopefully independent TV channels in the UK too, will be providing all their channels live in fully-functioning full HD, with possibly some 4k content too.

Currently BBC iPlayer has some sample 4K HDR content available to view, it's stunning.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 28 of 44
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Goonerwrote:

In your case, the relocation of the TiVo looks like the best solution. I really don't think that a 12-metre HDMI cable or HDMI over Ethernet are good options.

I run a pair of 10m HDMI cables to my projector and upstairs TV (plus a 1m cable from my V6 to my amplifier prior to those) and it works fine, at least for 1080p content (I don't have a 4k system yet). I'd probably trust a long cable more than HDMI over Ethernet.

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 29 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all those who've replied.

How has this all ended up? Well...the HDMI Extender kit came, I brought the upstairs TV downstairs, and I set it all up downstairs with a short Cat 6 cable. To recap: Virgin V6 TiVo box HDMI --> Extender TX input, one output to local TV via HDMI, other output to RX box via the short Cat6 cable, RX box to 2nd TV via HDMI.

First thing to say is that the HDMI 2.2 output of the TiVo box seemed to work with the 1.4 input of the HDMI extender, I could get pictures on both TVs. But this would become a little flaky with different combinations of the two TVs being turned on or off. Two other variables to consider were the Cat6 variable length dipswitches, and also a 2-way switch on the TX which seemed to be for 'HDMI control' or somesuch, in other words for the chosen display to interact with the source HDMI feed (all this stuff is a bit beyond me).

Anyway, I did finally get the 'localised' set-up working to my satisfaction but when I put the 2nd TV back upstairs and used a15m Cat6 cable to reconnect (just running loosely up the staircase) the flakiness got a lot worse. And bearing in mind the final install would involve me having to rejig my cabled network system in the loft, join two Cat6 ends together with a joining box, and try to run the far end down inside a stud wall, I started to wonder whether it would be all worth the hassle if it just wouldn't work consistently. So sadly, I have returned the system for refund and decided to just use Freesat (which is built into the TV, and the end of the coax is already hidden in the wall, ready).

By the way, the IR extender worked well, there was control of the TiVo from the remote TV.

Another option which would've been very nice (and easy) was if the smart card from an old Virgin box would work in the card slot in my upstairs TV...it's an LG 49SJ800V and has coax inputs for Freeview, Freesat and 'Cable'. I did have a crazy notion that if I put the Virgin smart card in the slot, fed a Virgin signal direct into the TV via the Cable socket, perhaps all my Virgin channels would magically appear? But sadly, even if it would've worked, when Virgin gave me the second TiVo box for upstairs they nullified any previous boxes on their system.

Anyways...! I got myself a brand new satellite dish for just over £20 (it's one that Sky use) and I've fitted it myself. I'll align it this weekend and then wonder why I went to all this bother. It's what I was going to do all along until Virgin told me I could have a 2nd box for cheaper than just one box...it's all their bloody fault! ;-)

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 30 of 44
Flag for a moderator

My goodness me why don't you simply get a second V6 with built in WiFi
0 Kudos