Menu
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

Hi,

I have a 2nd box (Cisco CT 8620) included in my TV package so I can watch telly upstairs in my bedroom. The TV is on the opposite wall to the box, and there are no wires showing. I'd like to keep it that way. My main box downstairs is a TiVo V6.

Is there something I can plug into the HDMI output of the Cisco box which will link with the TV across the room? It's a brand new smart TV with WiFi and WiFi Direct connectivity.

If it helps, the Cisco box is near a wired Cat6 home network connection which routes downstairs to where my Virgin wireless router is. My TiVo box downstairs is also near a wired Cat6 socket going to the same place.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I wirelessly link my upstairs 2nd Virgin box to its TV without an HDMI cable?

Hi unfortunately that box doesn't have built in WiFi, so a wired connection may be the answer, but bear in mind some older boxes are being fazed out as they will no longer be able to supply HD images. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator

The best options are an HDMI lead or to get Virgin Media to relocate the Cisco TiVo box near to the TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies so far folks, much appreciated.

I'm trying to avoid any cabling on the wall with the TV on it. It's a stud wall and I've managed to run in a power supply and coax cable which emerge behind the TV and are hidden by it. But I don't want the box on a shelf on the wall, or on a cabinet by the TV.

Is there some kind of HDMI dongle which I could plug into the Virgin box, which would 'cast' wirelessly across the room to the TV?

I guess ultimately another option would be to get a very long HDMI cable (12m or so?) and try to route that up inside the wall by the box, up into the loft and then down inside the wall with the TV on it, to emerge behind the TV. But that's a whole world of hassle and I'm unsure as to whether the signal might be compromised.

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Does the TiVo have WiFi? Could I swap the boxes and have that one upstairs and make that work?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator

TiVo has no WiFi. Ethernet connection to your home network by direct cable or powerline adapters is the option.

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Ah, OK.

Sadly there isn't an ethernet connection on the TV wall.

Could you be more explicit about how I might go about it please Ernie?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Powerline adapters create an Ethernet connection using the electric wiring between two wall sockets.

Devices such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N3YCC7R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FbWGAbZ7JCFZ3

0 Kudos
VO2Max
Joining in
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Yes, but how do I get from the HDMI output of my Virgin box to the HDMI input of my TV?

0 Kudos