Menu
Emily1x
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

CATV box move due to driveway and dropped curb

Hello,

We are trying to apply for a dropped kerb outside our house but we have a CATV cable box on our pathway and the council will not give permission to do any work unless it is removed or lowered. We have called virgin customer service 4 times and all we get is someone will call you back in 24 hours and no one ever does. Please can someone help all we want is at least a quote so we can see if this is possible! 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: CATV box move due to driveway and dropped curb

A forum team member should be along later to tell you that it costs £240 just for the site survey and a detailed estimate of costs and a specification of works. You need to be also aware that VM won't move a box unless there are health or safety issues. In the unlikely event of VM agreeing to move the box, it'll cost you a lot, probably £10,000 upwards.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Emily1x
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply! That’s very frustrating, is there no other option? Maybe to lower the box or change the over so a vehicle can cross? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

“Box” can mean a lot of things.

Is it a pavement tee through which the cables run to the houses? A ducting cover/pullway through which the cables run underground? Or a distribution cabinet?

The costs for moving, & logistics involved are all different.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Emily1x
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Lowering a CATV cable box for a dropped kerb

Hello,

We have spoken to a few people regarding lowering our CATV cable box on the pathway outside our property and apparently Virgin do it all the time. We don't need it removed or moved we just need it lowered so we can be approved for a dropped kerb. Virgin have finally sent us a letter saying we need to pay an initial cost of £240 just for them to come and quote us. But no one can seem to give us a rough guide price. I don't want to be paying £240 if they are just going to quote us something ridiculous like 5k plus. Please can anyone advise me on if they have done this or know someone who has?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lowering a CATV cable box for a dropped kerb

THREADS MERGED - Please do not post duplicate threads on the same subject.

I asked you to clarify in message 4 above what you are attempting to get moved, as depending what it is the costs will be different.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily1x
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It’s a CATV cable box. It’s flat on the pathway and it just needs to be lowered slightly as vehicles are not permitted to drive over it 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Emily1x wrote:

It’s a CATV cable box. It’s flat on the pathway and it just needs to be lowered slightly as vehicles are not permitted to drive over it 

You will certainly need to pay the £240 for the assessment. As it won't require the cables being diverted/extended & just the level being dropped then it shouldn't cost that much. If the cover is plastic this will have to replaced with something vehicle proof (usually metal).

Staff here can give you a guide (they may take several days to respond, so please avoid bumping the thread as it puts you back down the queue), but the whole idea of the assessment is to ascertain the true cost involved.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Emily1x
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! So shall i just wait for someone to get back to me on this or should i call them? All we want is a guide price as it’s all very pointless if it’s stupid amounts of money 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi it's a catch 22 situation you will have to pay for the assessment in order to get the final figures no one on here can "quess" what that will be. Regards Micky
0 Kudos