Menu
elljay23
Tuning in
Message 21 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC2 HD Changed channel number

Probably, but why no message on the TiVo in advance so we could have been prepared rather than wondering why programmes didn't record?  At least the BBC have catch up...!

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 22 of 56
Flag for a moderator

There was. Discovery Bar tile I saw every day from at least last Thursday. Said BBC moving and sort your SLs

Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 56
Flag for a moderator

@GarethF wrote:

I suspect Virgin had to split the existing into 4 new regions for the HD - Wales HD, NI HD and then 2 versions of the new National HD - 1 for 102 in England and 1 for 162 in Scotland so that is likely why series links on 162 have stopped.

Each franchise headend has its own unique Network ID table. So in effect EVERY ID table in the network was changed last night. The boxes don't usually implement the changes until you switch them out of standby. Some need a little persuasion (back into standby & out again) but for the most part it seems to have worked well. Rather that than VM force a mass reboot overnight that would have upset more than a few people.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

JamesBarnaby1
Tuning in
Message 24 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Congratulations once again Virgin Media for making changes without notifying your customers.

BBC2 HD Now on 102 so none of our series link recordings now work. Had to go through a whole week changing them. Which is ok for programmes currently being broadcast but means we'll probably miss any new series ...

Your customers really mean nothing to you, do they???

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 25 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Set them to All Channels. It’s really not difficult. 

JamesBarnaby1
Tuning in
Message 26 of 56
Flag for a moderator

... series links automatically select the channel you set them up for ...

I don't want streams, I don't want SD ... I don't want someone talking down to me like I'm an idiot.

What I do want is bit of respect and decent communications from a company I've spent thousands and thousands of pounds with over the years, since the company was called Diamond Cable 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 27 of 56
Flag for a moderator

There have been messages on the Home screen of the TiVo and V6 boxes since last week letting people know about both the BBC changes and the BT Sport changes before they happened.

There are still messages on the Home screen letting people know the changes have now happened and what to do about it.

There are also messages on the EPG numbers where the channels haven't been replaced to say that the channels have moved

Additionally there is information about how to update Series Links for the change.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
JamesBarnaby1
Tuning in
Message 28 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Hi

That's all well and good, but I'm guessing not many customers ever look at the home screen.

A simple piece of code could easily have been run against people's planned serial links to update them. I'm a software engineer by the way ...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 29 of 56
Flag for a moderator

@JamesBarnaby1 wrote:

That's all well and good, but I'm guessing not many customers ever look at the home screen.

A simple piece of code could easily have been run against people's planned serial links to update them. I'm a software engineer by the way ...

Then you know each software design is different and what may be simple of one bit of code, isn't so simple on another bit of code.

I'm sure if it had been possible to update all Series Links, then Virgin would have done it.

But between the creation of new BBC regional versions of the HD channels, and the fact that not everyone got the same move, it could have potentially required multiple changes to boxes to take account of each movement.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
praxis
Fibre optic
Message 30 of 56
Flag for a moderator

@JamesBarnaby1 wrote:

Congratulations once again Virgin Media for making changes without notifying your customers.

BBC2 HD Now on 102 so none of our series link recordings now work. Had to go through a whole week changing them. Which is ok for programmes currently being broadcast but means we'll probably miss any new series ...

Your customers really mean nothing to you, do they???

iPlayer can keep you up to date till you change the links and the beauty of iPlayer is the stuff is there for months not just a couple of weeks.