Menu
Dextersmum
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Availability of shows

New to Virgin since June and I have noticed that rather annoyingly shows are not available on catch up for very long. For example I watched a show Virgin had recorded as a suggestion for me from 1st August today. When the episode finished I was not offered the next episode and when I went to search the show the only episode available was episode 5! I'd really like to watch 2, 3 and 4 before 5 lol. 

I have noticed this with other shows but it's beginning to annoy me as episodes were available on Sky for months but it seems to be only the case for a few days on Virgin.....or am I missing something? TIA.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Availability of shows

Virgin CatchUp VOD generally has a 30day limit - which programs/channels are you having problems with, do you have any specific examples?

Although the overriding thought would be to ask which box you have, and whether you're able to record your programs? That way, there is (within reason) no time limit on watching them.

0 Kudos
Dextersmum
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have a TiVo v6 box, full package including recording. The programme I was suggested was ex on the beach USA first episode aired 01/08 (sadly I like the crass reality shows lol).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unlike most providers, Virgin have their own broadcast playout system that pre dates all the apps like All4 & My5. The programmes are stored at the regional headend servers & played out as a broadcast stream targeted specifically at the cabinet you are connected too. Space on these servers is finite so there will never be the selection you see through the apps.

Until broadcasters go the way of the BBC & supply Virgin with a dedicated V6 app (which they have to pay for & maintain) you are stuck with what you have got.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Dextersmum
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback. I have spoken to virgin customer services and some shows they only make episodes available at transmission time or for a couple of days 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not great! 

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Dextersmum wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I have spoken to virgin customer services and some shows they only make episodes available at transmission time or for a couple of days 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not great! 

Is there any reason you don't want to record your programmes? That way, the whole VOD availability becomes irrelevant.

Dextersmum
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It was from the suggestions list, I would have recorded it had I known it was on. They tantalisingly lured me in then whipped the rug from under my feet lol. MTV hub it will have to be. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's better I think do a search for those subjects which interest you, let's say cooking. You'll get a bunch of matches and you choose which ones to record. If there is a series then you can do a Series Link+ which will automatically record all the available broadcast episodes of your chosen show and group together the rest be they in Box Sets, Catch Up TV and in apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, and save them in a folder in My Shows.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection