Menu
stefkirl
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

v6 Box doesn't pick up Wifi

Hi,

New Tivo 6 box installed and working.

Superhub running in modem mode and connected to internal Netgear wireless router.

Trying to connect the v6 box to Wifi.. doesn't see Wifi 2.4 or 5ghz networks. Tried entering ssid manually, again nothing.

"No wireless network found" 

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: v6 Box doesn't pick up Wifi

Does the V6 pick up WiFi if you put the Superhub in Router Mode?

Which Superhub do you have?

0 Kudos
stefkirl
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Reset of the v6 seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for replying

0 Kudos
zaccer49
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have the same problem. My superhub is in router mode. My V6 does not find any wireless networks at all. I cannot connect by ethernet cable as my broadband comes in the house upstairs in the office and nowhere near my Lounge where the V6 box is.

When i set up the V6 for the first time  i connected to WIFI with no problems and the set up was fine but not long after i got a red light wifi symbol on the box indicating a WIFI problem.

I've reset the V6 box and it does not help. Same issue.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi zaccer49

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community, I'm sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service recently.

Are you experiencing issues with any other devices using the wireless network? Changing the channel on the Hub can help with WIFI issues, you can find more information on doing that on [this page].

Another option would be to try Powerline adapters, which will give you a better connection to the Hub, if that's an option you can try? 

Speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
zaccer49
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

dear Craig, thanks for your reply.

My Tv is connected to the WIFI router wirelessly and so is my smartphone. The V6 cannot find any wireless networks at all. And yet my phone finds dozens of networks (all the neighbours' routers). The V6 has a problem connecting to WIFI but i don't know what the problem is.

Thanks

Zac

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zac

Thanks for getting back to me, are you able to try and change the wireless channel on the hub to see if that helps the V6 connect? You can find out how to do so on the link in my last post.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the wifi signal at the V6 box is not strong enough to be detected by the box - although it is by other devices. 

You have a number of options (1) move them closer together (2) connect them via a long ethernet cable (3) as already suggested get a couple of powerline adaptors and connect the V6 by cable to one of them (4) put the SH into modem mode, buy a better wifi router or mesh system.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
zaccer49
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice.

1: i cant move either of the hardware

2: i can't do this without drilling holes in my ceiling and having wires run around

3: i've only just heard about powerline adapters so i need to research them as i'm not abig techie person but this could be a good idea

4: i'm loathe to do this as there is nothign wrong with the router (V6 is the problem) and it works fine and i don't really want to do something i don't understand.

Thanks for your time on this.

Zac 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK Zac no probs. The Powerline adapter route will be a good fix then. Do a bit a research as there are quite a few out there.
The main things I looked out for was the maximum rate of data transmission and the "ease" of setting up. My pair were a bit over the top (£) as my lad is an internet gamer and he wanted gigabit+ throughput.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PQL2SSK/ref=pe_1993841_85639531_em_1p_0_ti

You may not need that. Just do the usual "best" search and ask on here for ones that people use and recommend. VM used to supply them but have stopped I think - see which they were

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.