Menu
rockette
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

unable to register to use catch up tv on my new V6 box

I have a new V6 box and connected it up last week to my new LG tv. It was  Working fine till today. THiS afternoon I logged into my V6 STB and tried to open Catch up tv on VM. It played a short VM video telling me I now had to register to use iplayer at bbc.com/account/TV using as my "unique password" the 8 digit code displayed on the screen. It said I had to do this on my mobile or tablet or pc.

I am already registered to use iplayer on my pc online.  I assumed this VM ad was a second registration for using ipkayer via Virgin V6 STB. However when I type in the Virgin supplied URL  on my mobile it takes me to the generic iPlayer on line registration screen (the one which displays a photo of David Attenborough with my user ID and prompts me for the password for that ). This is not the "unique password" displayed by Virgin on its ad. Still I thought I would fix it by changing my online iPlayer password to be the same as the VM supplied one. No luck. it let me change it but will not let me sign in.  (Access to iPlayer via my LG is has also stopped working.)

what is happening here? Is it some joint screw up by VM and the BBC? Where should BBC.com/account/ TV route me ? not to the online iPlayer registration screen for pc users I am assuming .

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: unable to register to use catch up tv on my new V6 box

It's a new BBC thing to make sure the person watching has a TV licence

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This explains what you have to do - the V6 is a connected TV device:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/sign-in/connected_tv_sign_in

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The code displayed on the V6 screen identifies that V6 box to the BBC. I also set up my account on my pc, & if I remember rightly I typed the URL into my PC. This then asked for the code showing on the V6 box. Within seconds of typing this in, the iPlayer sprang into life on the V6, showing my ID at the top.

You only have to do this once, as the V6 app stores your account details.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
rockette
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I did all of that but for some reason it would not route to register me as a tv account user for iplayer. It seemed to keep stopping on bbc.com/account without bringing up the tv user registration screen.  Eventually  on about the 10th attempt, it actually went through to the tv user registration screen. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

May have been a BBC problem then.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rockette,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues setting up iPlayer on your new V6 box.

It looks like you've since been able to get this resolved, however if you have any further issues please pop back on here and we'll be able to help further Smiley Happy

Thanks

Melissa_F

0 Kudos