cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

on demand not available/not streaming - bar iplayer

paulmapp8306
Tuning in

OK,  Seen a few posts regarding this over a period of time, but no real fix.

Have 2 x V6 box's.  one is OK the other has this problem.  Its been fine for 3+ years then started doing this 4-5 months back - no change in other hardware.

Symptom - when trying to use netflix, amazon prime, or TV X. Attempt to start a program.  Get any of the following:

1.   Black screen with circle going round followed by "there is a problem playing this show please try again later".   

2.  Plays the first 30 seconds or so - followed by the above.

Bypassing our surround processor, changing TV inputs, changing HDMi cables all do nothing - no change.   Tried changing output to 1080 from 2060 - no change.  Surround processor is all 4k, and all cables are 8k (ie can carry a 4k UDP picture at 120 hz).  TV is a 4k screen - with 4k carried on 3 of its 6 inputs - an Im connected to a correct input (though swapping to one of the others makes no difference).  

i can test the network in Netflix, or on the virgin box and all connections and speeds come back absolutely fine.Its not network related.

Fix - reboot V6 box.  This works for a day, then get the same fails again.    Im not sure if it comes back once the V6 box is put into standby - though I would suggest thats the case (ie once rebooted the box continues to work correctly, then you put int into standy when you stop watching, and when it comes back ion the error returns - reboot fix's again temporarily).

i am an electronics technician by trade, I work in audio and video too.  This is not related to other hardware, if it was then it just would never work.  The fact it works after a re-boot, or indeed streams for a short period then fails points to a problem on the V6.   this may be that its getting older, it may be that there has been an issue a FW update has introduced (ie may not the the box itself but FW or application issues) - but it IS box related.  The fact that no hardware has changed, and we didnt have this problem until 5 months or so ago also points to it not being external hardware.  

All apps play from the TV via the surround processor, on PC, and on the other V6 box. 

So far, Virgin help have changed settings on the router (though we have no internet issues), which didnt help - and did something that was supposed to generate an error code - but doesnt.

The only code I get it that reported by others - a netflix code TVQ PB 101 (5.2.12).   Netflix forums states "This error happens when an issue with data stored on your device stops Netflix from playing".

Obviously its not JUST netflix, its any streaming services that arnt iplayer.

Anyone got any further advice here?  Next step would logically be replace the box - BUT that wont fix its its a FW or application issue on the V6.   If it continues after a box change, then Ill be leaving virgin after 11 years and going to Sky (for broadband and TV).  Ive seen the same issues, with the same messages,codes and symptoms across various forums - seems a reasonably common issue.

I have tried clearing V6 cache - but not yet turned off/on (as were watching).  Hopefully thats fixed it - as it seems to in some cases, but not all cases.  Im heading off it not working so I have other info to try.

1 REPLY 1

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@paulmapp8306 wrote:

Obviously its not JUST netflix, its any streaming services that arnt iplayer.

Does that include OnDemand, using VM's in-house platform? Your post refers to multiple third-party streaming apps, but not "standard" VoD. C4, C5 & Sky are the notable examples of broadcasters who use the in-house IP-VOD system.

@paulmapp8306 wrote:

All apps play....on the other V6 box.

Are both V6 running the same firmware? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > System Info.

@paulmapp8306 wrote:

I have tried clearing V6 cache

How?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks