Menu
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: no recording lights on V6 box?

@jumbojake wrote:
if the recording lights are flashing I'd suggest it's not working right !

multiple small LED's would work a treat... could be subtle and informative ... what we have now is very poor design ... without ant view of the current mode, having to turn on the TV, go into menus .. very poor design.

This was brought up some time ago and although there was some that wanted loads of lights on front of the box, the majority (me included) didn't. I see no reason to have loads of lights nor would I look at lights to see if anything is recording. Personal taste I guess, but I have never been a fan of lots of lights on anything.

0 Kudos
raymartin01
Dialled in
Message 12 of 37
Flag for a moderator

As it only takes a single keypress to see what's being recorded, I really don't think the lack of lights is a problem..

ecs_sanchez
Tuning in
Message 13 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input, Corinneangela. 

The red recording lights on the original TiVo box don't flash. Only the right hand green light blinks, once, in response to input from the remote control, or when the box is rebooting, as does the 'power on indicator' light on the V6.

You make a good point though about the adverse health effects of flashing lights, and the problems that that can cause for many people. Cineworld cinemas now have warning notices on the entrance doors to all their screens warning of the adverse effects of possible flashing lights in the movies, but it's a blanket warning, non-specific, and I don't know how one would be able to find out beforehand if a particular movie might be prone to that - some of the underwater scenes in 'Aquaman' spring to mind regarding that.

Best wishes to you and  your son.

0 Kudos
ecs_sanchez
Tuning in
Message 14 of 37
Flag for a moderator

The red recording lights on the original TiVo box don't flash. Only the right hand green light blinks, once, in response to input from the remote control, or when the box is rebooting, as does the 'power on indicator' light on the V6.

0 Kudos
ecs_sanchez
Tuning in
Message 15 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Micky, for the information. That makes sense of the V6's name. I only had the V6 installed at the weekend, and only been using it for two days as there were installation problems, so still getting to know it.

0 Kudos
Wasyl
Tuning in
Message 16 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I have lately become a Virgin Media customer and have a tv box.

I myself expected some light to indicate a recording/s were taking place.

There was one time a few weeks ago that I rebooted the machine and as an after thought at that time I wondered if a recording was taking place, obviously at this time it was too late.

So I would personally recommend that one extra light would have been very helpful!

deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 17 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

Seven flashing lights on the front of it would be good then Smiley Happy

Smiley Very Happy

jumbojake
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 37
Flag for a moderator

not sure anyone suggested flashing, but some indicator lights would be very useful and pretty standard expectation. 

Seems like Virgin are trying to criticise customers for wanting something very simple and standard.... just to hide a marketing/design error.

shawty1984
Rising star
Message 19 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@jumbojake wrote:

not sure anyone suggested flashing, but some indicator lights would be very useful and pretty standard expectation. 

Seems like Virgin are trying to criticise customers for wanting something very simple and standard.... just to hide a marketing/design error.

What do lights achieve? It's one button press on the remote to see if anything is recording.

0 Kudos
Wasyl
Tuning in
Message 20 of 37
Flag for a moderator

If the TV isn't turned on, then one button press on the virgin remote will not achieve anything.

So to ensure an individual doesn't by any chance turn off the TIVO/V6 box when a recording is in progress, then just an individually coloured light (not red nor white) would be a recommendation that Virgin should make available on the machines.