Menu
shawty1984
Rising star
Message 31 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: no recording lights on V6 box?

@jumbojake wrote:

again .. everyone seems to forget that pressing my shows requires the TV to be on, tuned into the V6 box first... an LED would save all of that.. again, why go backwards with design function.  they could retrofit that with a software change.

We aren't forgetting it. Why do you need to know if it's recording when the TV is off? 

0 Kudos
jumbojake
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 37
Flag for a moderator

for people who have the TV on all the time they are in the house, and tuned into the V6 box at all times, the 'button' option is a viable workaround ... but for most people, who either  don't have the TV on at all times, or maybe wathing DVD's or streamed media through the TV itself.... having to go back to the V6 box is just a pain.... totally unnecessary compromise due to poor design...

As for why do we need to know it is recording.... it often doesn't ... for whatever reason ... we either miss a show, or if we're lucky get it on one of the catch-up streaming  options.

If we are looking for progress, then maybe a pop on on our phones to tell us of a failed/clashed recording would be great.. as that isn't possible, then some indication on the box, of active recording is old school, simple, cost effective, non intrusive, foolproof option

shawty1984
Rising star
Message 33 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@jumbojake wrote:

for people who have the TV on all the time they are in the house, and tuned into the V6 box at all times, the 'button' option is a viable workaround ... but for most people, who either  don't have the TV on at all times, or maybe wathing DVD's or streamed media through the TV itself.... having to go back to the V6 box is just a pain.... totally unnecessary compromise due to poor design...

As for why do we need to know it is recording.... it often doesn't ... for whatever reason ... we either miss a show, or if we're lucky get it on one of the catch-up streaming  options.

If we are looking for progress, then maybe a pop on on our phones to tell us of a failed/clashed recording would be great.. as that isn't possible, then some indication on the box, of active recording is old school, simple, cost effective, non intrusive, foolproof option

Maybe get your box checked as in all the years of having a TiVo and V6, it's hardly missed a recording. For the amount of time a light would be useful, it doesn't equate to much help in reality. 

You can also use the phone app to see if its recording. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 34 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I have been using VM's recordable boxes since January 2008 with the V+ HD (a  Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB) followed by the TiVo and V6, can't recall a failure to record. If you fail to record you're either doing something wrong or there is a fault with the box or network.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jumbojake
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I have no problem with the older virgin box, works fine for me, I can see how many active recording are ongoing, without having to turn on the TV.. perfect.  It's faster to navigate also.

The new v6 is the issue ... to overcome the short comings... if the app worked, it would be useful .. but is very flaky., not reliable enough to depend on. If it worked.. and if it flagged clashed or failed recordings it would be useful.

Recording failures are regular, for varius resons.... even if we reboot the box on a weekly basis, as we were recommended by Virgin  (obviously doesn't help for clashes).

If this isn't going to be fixed, then all we can hope for is an upgraded box will replace it soon., along with some customer feedback before, to ensure it is fit for purpose.

shawty1984
Rising star
Message 36 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@jumbojake wrote:

I have no problem with the older virgin box, works fine for me, I can see how many active recording are ongoing, without having to turn on the TV.. perfect.  It's faster to navigate also.

The new v6 is the issue ... to overcome the short comings... if the app worked, it would be useful .. but is very flaky., not reliable enough to depend on. If it worked.. and if it flagged clashed or failed recordings it would be useful.

Recording failures are regular, for varius resons.... even if we reboot the box on a weekly basis, as we were recommended by Virgin  (obviously doesn't help for clashes).

If this isn't going to be fixed, then all we can hope for is an upgraded box will replace it soon., along with some customer feedback before, to ensure it is fit for purpose.

Sounds like you have a dodgy box, no amount of lights will solve the problem you have. 

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Knows their stuff
Message 37 of 37
Flag for a moderator

@Wasyl wrote:

"@shawty1984 wrote:

What would you be doing fully turning off the V6 box?"

You obviously didn't experience the V53 error where all channels were down yesterday evening. So I had a need to switch off then reboot the box.

Now what better reason could there have been for needing a light to inform that a recording was taking place!

The V53 error didn't need the box rebooting, it was not to do with the box per se it was their end.

I don't want lots of lights on the box tyvm, and you'd need 6 for the amount that could be recording. Never had the need for lights and certainly don't want to start now.

0 Kudos