Menu
Highlighted
WayWay
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Worth Knowing...

After 20+ years of intermittent issues, we average 1-2 issues a year with TV/ box which, 99.9% of the time is a Virgin issue. So when one of our 3 boxes (V6) will only show the menu and Netflix on our TV I go through ALL the usual & Virgin/Community recommended solutions and run a TV diagnostic (it showed no problem), to no avail. I call Virgin, get through to a ‘remote’ tech advisor who runs a diagnostic and tells me ‘there is an issue with the V6 box (I even provide the serial number). He initially tells me ‘we will send you a replacement V6 box’ and I confirm with him it’s DEFINATELYthe box, he then suggests an engineer visit. So he puts me on hold then returns to tell me his ‘manager says I cannot have one’ so he tells me to ‘switch off TV and box for 3 hours’ then turn it on and call back. I did this and nothing had changed. In the meantime I was contacted on this Community and offered an engineer visit. This was followed by a conversation with Virgin locally/UK who confirmed I needed a new V6 box and an ‘experienced senior engineer’. He came yesterday. He was very annoyed that I had been told that the V6 box was faulty and stated he deals with incorrect remote diagnostics regularly. He discovered the issue was with the HDMI port on my TV and, INTERESTINGLY, the HDMI cable supplied by the last Virgin engineer was ‘the wrong HDMI cable’. Now I accept that the problem is with my TV HDMI port BUT 1. Why was I given the wrong diagnosis twice? 2. Why was an initial engineer visit denied? 3. Why did the previous Virgin engineer leave me with the WRONG HDMI CABLE? 4. Did this incorrect cable contribute to the fault in my TV HDMI port? More importantly is this standard of service acceptable for a customer of 20+ years who currently pays over £130 a month for a service? This is the 3rd engineer visit since December 2018 and I live with intermittent pixelating pictures and Wi Fi ‘drop outs’ almost constantly. It’s so easy for Virgin to blame others and the customers themselves. They have messaged me to say that they cannot diagnose problems remotely... yet they did this TWICE In the past few days!!! So please BEWARE, best to book an engineer (they feel as much desperation as us customers yet try their best to help) and use this Community because I would NOT have been given an Engineer visit over the phone. They would have posted me a V6 box and it would have made no difference whatsoever. So I am now thinking shall I bother to replace the TV and simply return the V6 box? Shall I change to another provider? Or do I accept another abysmal  service experience with Virgin (the Engineer was Fabulous by the way 👍🏼)?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Worth Knowing...

It's always a good idea to have a spare high speed HDMI cable which you know is working to use for testing, and to try alternative HDMI inputs of your TV. If the fault persists you should then ask for help.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
WayWay
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for reply Roger which is indeed informative and kind. I did this before calling Virgin initially, learned from previous experiences,  and told both Virgin Tech guys on phone. Also checked all 3 cables to V6 box plus Samsung TV diagnostic was ran, plus  changed video inputs and checked SOURCE OPTIONS. Because I was receiving a TV picture on Menu & Netflix (but no where else), sound on every channel, and other V6 and TiVo boxes/TVs were working just fine, I was told twice by Virgin Tech it was ‘definately the V6 box’. There is only 1 HDMI port on my TV, which  I told them, so could not use an alternate HDMI port. As I said, after the engineer came out and explained his frustration at incorrect & inappropriate Tech Advice being given to customers over the phone, I accept the problem is my single TV HDMI port. BUT, although knowledgable through experience only, I was accepting what I was told via the Virgin Tech guys. There is clearly a known problem (as highlighted by the Virgin engineer) with remote phone diagnostics which lets down some customers’ desire for resolution. We are not all Tech Savvy after all and rely on guidance. I also accept that a TV/V6 box service is not life dependant BUT 1. I pay £130 a month for ‘ a contracted service’ and pay without fault despite extremely limited finances 2. My hubby has had a stroke with frontal lobe syndrome so it enables some enjoyment at home which accommodates his memory issues 3. I am often awake at night so watch TV with sub titles in bed. For us it helps make life a little easier and less stressful, or st least that is our wish!!!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As you have discovered the call centre agents can be very poor as a result of VM's disgraceful lack of managing and training them properly. You are better off getting support from this community forum.

--
0 Kudos
WayWay
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I completely agree with you. Thank you Roger. I see this frustration in customers comments and in the Virgin Engineers faces. After a 34 year Career in Public Service sector their attitude, in my opinion, is neither cost effective, acceptable, competitive or harmonious. There is little inter department communication eg: the Customer Support could not confirm if engineer would indeed turn up yesterday, could not tell me if job had been allocated and could not call engineer or relevant department  to confirm this (or so I was told). Ironically I received an e mail today telling me my package cost had increased!!! REALLY VIRGIN 🤔

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apologies if you have done this already, but you can simply turn off and unplug the dodgy V6 box and one of the "good ones and swap them over (using same cables) to see whether the fault tracks with that V6 to another TV or remains on the Samsung TV with the known "good" V6. .
I did this when I had a sound issue on a new Sammy TV - and the fault tracked to the TV not the V6. I then contacted Samsung UK support who said.... “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting before establishing the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”. They did their magic and the problem was solved.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
WayWay
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, Virgin engineer did this last night and established it was Samsung Tv single HDMI port fault ( not V6 box as told twice by Tech Guys ). Apparently even if the HDMI port fails you can still receive sound, and see the Virgin tv Menu & Netflix on the TV, and TV diagnostic on my didn’t show ‘fault’. BUT the engineer night knew this can happen and sadly the Tech guys didn’t (see Rogers reply too). I feel very let down indeed by Virgin support ( not the engineer ).

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@WayWay wrote:

I feel very let down indeed by Virgin support ( not the engineer ).

This is the best place for support 😀

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In future try this reset procedure as well.

1. Turn off the connected device, e.g. TV box, Blu-ray player, and the TV.
  2. Unplug the power cords of the device and the TV.
  3. Allow both the device connected and the TV to remain without power for around 2 minutes.
  4. Plug the power cords of the device and the TV back into the electrical outlet.
  5. Turn on the connected device and TV.
--
0 Kudos
WayWay
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you again Roger. I did do this, or something very similar, as I keep a list of things I learn from experiences over last 20 years. Virgin have now contacted me re this whole thing and I hope 🙏🏻🤞 to resolve it so everyone learns from it. I also was given a Wi Fi plug in booster by another Virgin customer which has immediately improved my Wi Fi in the home ( and even got it in the garden now ). It’s a miracle! He bought one after suffering similar Virgin drop out & no signal issues. Never suggested by Virgin... 

0 Kudos