cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wires for TV

Jpcarpenter
Joining in

Hi everyone, I've just signed up to virgin. 

We renovated our bungalow last year and I'm a bit concerned about the impact that the wires will have on the property. 

I am having the main box,  and 2 additional boxes. They have said I can install my cable myself, but they have just dropped off one length of cable, with the connecters on each end... I have no idea where I'm supposed to be running them to.. so any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jpcarpenter wrote:

I am having the main box,  and 2 additional boxes. They have said I can install my cable myself, but they have just dropped off one length of cable, with the connecters on each end...

Who exactly is "they"? VM's cabling should only be installed and maintained by VM themselves.

It does sound like you're going to need a manned engineer installation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

They, as in virgin their install team dropped me the cable off. 

I may have to cancel then, I don't fancy cables being badly installed in 3 rooms of our home. 

it would seem you need 3 cables - lets go back a bit

who have you spoken to and arranged for cables to be dropped off so you can pre install them - you say VM but was that a tech - an area field manager or just a random call to VM and an agent agreed to send a cable

VM have in the past supplied coax to pre install but its rare - they have [again in the past] used customer supplier coax of the correct spec but thats rarer still

so some more detain would help - the normal way to get cable laid in the way you want is for you to lay a tube/ducts [if possible] with pull ropes for cables to be pulled through - the ducts may not be needed if its just a matter of cables running under floors [for example] where a pull rope would be enough to get from A to B

Tony.
Sacked VIP

For the engineers to fit the cable to each room, they would need to access my loft. Which I've already been informed they won't do. All I was planning on doing was attaching the virgin supplied coax to my existing coax and pulling it through it's trunking, replacing the existing coax with the new one, but I have no idea where all 3 cables need to start from.. 

I believe the guy who arranged to have the cable dropped off was the area manager. 

Do you know the correct spec of coax which they use? I will ask my electrician what he installed, he is obsessed with future proofing, so I'm hoping he installed one we can use. 

Thanks

as a general rule you cannot supply your own cable - start from there and you will not go far wrong

you say you need 3 cables - one for the hub that but i know - the other 2 for TV boxes i assume - i am not sure on those and i think it can depend which tv box you have - some need a BB connection so assuming they do that explains the 3 cables

to have 3 BB inputs you need to join the 3 cable back to a common input from or in the omnibox [the external box on the outside wall] so there may be a 3 way splitter in there or it could be internal - ir you could start with a 2 way splitter and then split one of those inputs again with a second 2 way splitter - its all down to the layout of the house or the placement of the hub and tv boxes

you can certainly pull the VM cavle with your existing aerial cable into the loft or wherever - if the end connector does not allow that cut it off and the tech would fit another one

where the techs will go - in the loft - under floors is all down to the tech on the day - i was talking to one the other week who said he was happy to do that but stressed that was his choice not VM policy

how did you actually arrange to get the cable - it may have come via an AFM but customers cannot normally contact them so who set it up in the first place

how long is the cable thats been sent - is it long enough for all 3 cables you need - if it is cut it and dont worry about the ends - gat all 3 input ends back to a common point where the input will come in from outside - they would then just add a 3 way splitter and all cables would be good

if you have not already it sounds like you need a site survey - VM [here] may be able to arrange that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Jpcarpenter,

Welcome to the forums and many thanks for your post! I'm very sorry for the issue with the cabling that has been dropped off for you.

I have reached out to our field team for further instruction and I will be in touch when I know more.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @Jpcarpenter ,

I've heard from the AFM who has confirmed that he has been in contact and someone will be around to help with this issue.

If you do have any further questions following this, please let us know and we'll do our best to help.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide