cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Tivo Record with WiFi off?

emmalouise22
Just joined

If I turn off my wifi box when I go on holiday, will my Tivo still record?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd really like to give my wifi a "rest" but only if my programmes will still record while it's off! 

6 REPLIES 6

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The V6 does not need the network connection to record live programmes but EPG updates will not be possible if you turn off WiFi. I recommend connecting the V6 to the hub with an Ethernet cable (which will automatically disable the WiFi connection).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@emmalouise22 wrote:

If I turn off my wifi box when I go on holiday, will my Tivo still record?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd really like to give my wifi a "rest" but only if my programmes will still record while it's off! 

If you turn off WiFi, three things could happen:

1) Any last minute programme schedule changes will not update, leading to missed recordings.

2) The guide will diminish & no new series recordings will be found.

3) It is possible that changes to the broadcast muxes will not be picked up, leading to channels going blank.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@emmalouise22 

You've posted in the V6 board but referenced a TiVo - the two are very different boxes so check which you have - this page has pictures if you're not sure.

The TiVo has its own inbuilt modem, doesn't have WiFi or use your home broadband.

For the V6 - reference the answers you've been given. And indeed - relatives of mine who have a V6 recently went away for a fortnight and turned their homehub off. As a direct result, EPG updates weren't picked up and several series-links missed out on planned recordings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi this is not good practice with modern equipment as it is updating all the time. Regards Micky

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello emmalouise22

Thanks for taking the time to post in the forum in regards to the impact of turning your Wi-Fi off in relation to your TV services, welcome to the community.

As our VIP's have advised, there could (and most likely will) be some impacts if you were to turn off your wireless network. As the box uses the broadband connection for updates to numerous things (firmware, EPG, program changes) although the box will still record but as the guide may not be up to date it may be that the planned recording isn't what is actually recorded.

Is there a reason you are looking to turn the wireless network off whilst you are away? Is it just a safety precaution?

Rob

I've just realised that my post was misleading, so here it is with an amendment.

"The V6 does not need the network connection to record live programmes but EPG updates will not be possible if you turn off WiFi. I recommend connecting the V6 to the hub with an Ethernet cable (which will automatically disable the WiFi connection to the V6, thus enabling you to turn off the hub's WiFi)."

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection