cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want separate internet connection for TV and V6

Reg444
Tuning in

Hello. I've my V6 box connected to my smart TV and it works fine.

My Sony bravia smart TV has its own channels which I can't access because only the V6 box is connected to the internet.

Any ideas how to do that without calling the virgin engineer.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m not sure you entirely understand your own equipment and configuration.

Your smart TV is connected to your Virgin Media set top box by HDMI cable and has the Virgin Media TV service delivered by the set top box’s co-ax connection (live TV) and its internet connection (On Demand and apps).

Your smart TV itself can also supply live TV (Freeview via an external aerial connection) and On Demand/apps (via its own separate internet connection).

These connections are your responsibility.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Reg444 wrote:

Hello. I've my V6 box connected to my smart TV and it works fine.

My Sony bravia smart TV has its own channels which I can't access because only the V6 box is connected to the internet.

And I'll just add to Ernie's response...

Your TV will likely have an inbuilt Freeview tuner which is how it receives broadcast TV signals - the "smart" element refers to apps & streaming services which use the internet.

In the same way, your VM box has a co-ax cable feed for broadcast TV channels, and an internet connection for apps & streaming services.

Those 2 x internet connections, will be separately & independently fed from the same router.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Reg444

Hope all the advise from @Ernie_C and @japitts have helped

Let us know if you are still struggling and we'll happily help.

All the best for the New Year!

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

If your TV has a LAN port use an Ethernet cable to connect to the hub (best) or do it by WiFi.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection