Menu
wislonp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Volume Out Serting

I recently moved to Virgin from TalKTalk on Freeview. All the Freeview boxes I have had have a volume control that controls the output from the STB. When the engineer installed my V6 box he set the V6 box remote to control the audio output of my Samsung TV. But I use a sound bar and so I don’t use the TV sound. So now I have to use the sound bar remote to set the audio level. Is there any way to get the V6 remote to control the audio out of the V6 box?

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Volume Out Serting

@wislonp wrote:

I recently moved to Virgin from TalKTalk on Freeview. All the Freeview boxes I have had have a volume control that controls the output from the STB. When the engineer installed my V6 box he set the V6 box remote to control the audio output of my Samsung TV. But I use a sound bar and so I don’t use the TV sound. So now I have to use the sound bar remote to set the audio level. Is there any way to get the V6 remote to control the audio out of the V6 box?

The V6 does not have its own volume control, but you should be able to set the remote to control the soundbar volume rather than the TV volume. Should be instructions somewhere on the VM site for doing this.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In short, no.

All Virgins PVRs output digital sound in raw format, so the sound levels have to be controlled at the receiving equipment.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
wislonp
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Volume Out Setting

Thanks for the feedback but my Cambridge Audio soundbox uses infrared and the V6 remote uses Bluetooth so not sure how that will work. 

0 Kudos
wislonp
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Seems a retrograde step. With the Freeview remote I could use that to turn the TV on/off and set the volume level into my soundbox. So I have gone from one remote to three due this design ‘flaw’. 

‘One man’s bug is another man’s feature’

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wislonp wrote:

Thanks for the feedback but my Cambridge Audio soundbox uses infrared and the V6 remote uses Bluetooth so not sure how that will work. 

Read message #2. The V6 remote does not operate by Bluetooth but by RF for V6 commands and IR for controlling TV and other equipment volume.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wislonp wrote:

The V6 remote uses RF4CE, not Bluetooth, to talk to the V6 box only (when that's set up)

It does also have IR in it for control of TV and AV kit.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
wislonp
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, my misunderstanding of what the installation engineer told me there. Not sure message # 2 was telling me this  

So I really need to make my V6 remote ‘learn’ the Cambridge Audio remote commands. Has anyone got any got any ideas for doing this?

0 Kudos
wislonp
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie_C. Tried that but got fed up after about 10 minutes!. I guess there are so many IR codes that I just have to keep going until it works.

0 Kudos