cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV Guide wrong again

Donna35
On our wavelength

Hello,

I've found another fault with the TV guide - tonight it's listed the non celeb SAS Series 3 episode 4, first aired 28/01/18 instead of the current series: Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins, Series 3 episode 4 - my series link has picked up the 1am repeat on Friday which is labelled as 'New.' 

How is the EPG managed in the background and how can mistakes like this happen? Other TV listings appear to have got this right. I realise in the grand scheme of the problems we are all facing at the moment that this isn't a major one but it would be nice to get home from a long shift and find my favourite shows have been recorded correctly. 

Many thanks

Donna 😊

16 REPLIES 16

Donna35
On our wavelength
Hi Serena,
The manual recording worked. The EPG never did update the episode and it's still showing incorrectly in the TV listings today.
I've always relied on the series link function but starting to find a number of EPG errors lately which breaks the links resulting in having to use catch up services for shows I've missed - I'm starting to distrust the system and now spend time checking the 'My Planned Recordings' list to ensure everything is set up correctly which is rather frustrating.
Other TV listings/services were correct on this latest example so why was VM's listings incorrect?
Many thanks
Donna

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Donna35 wrote:
The EPG never did update the episode and it's still showing incorrectly in the TV listings today.
I've always relied on the series link function but starting to find a number of EPG errors lately which breaks the links resulting in having to use catch up services for shows I've missed - I'm starting to distrust the system and now spend time checking the 'My Planned Recordings' list to ensure everything is set up correctly which is rather frustrating.

Mine did update, so it's possible yours just missed the cycle - once the day has passed, then the error won't be corrected.

You've mentioned noticing other EPG errors - such as? If you have specific examples, fire away...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Donna35
On our wavelength
Most recently - BBC Look North: East Yorkshire & Lincolnshire (the region was entered incorrectly), The Handmaids Tail, Fargo.
Also Wentworth - though I dare say this was not an EPG error - the series name has been changed from 'Wentworth' to 'Wentworth: The Final Sentence' and so the original series link didn't pick this up.

Many thanks
Donna

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fair cop on most of those - I seem to recall reporting many of them. Several were corrected in time for many boxes to update, but not all.

Wentworth, yes that's a nuisance. In the past, this sort of thing has sometimes been at the request of the broadcaster although whether it was the case here I don't know.

I don't think any of Wentworth's episodes have been missed though. A bigger bugbear with Wentworth is that it's only broadcast (and therefore recordable) in SD, but is on VoD in HD.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Donna35
On our wavelength
I missed the first 3 episodes before I found out it was back on Haha....I caught up using My5. Didn't realise I could view it in HD on VoD so thank you for that tip:-)

I found this excerpt from the director of Foxtel in Aus:
"Wentworth Season 9 can also be called as Season 8 Part 2. The prison-centered show got greenlit for Season 9 in December 2018. The twenty-episode final season has been divided into two parts; the first, titled 'Wentworth: Redemption,' contains the first ten episodes (2020), while the second, titled 'Wentworth: The Final Sentence.'"

Our Season 8 Part 1 stayed as 'Wentworth Prison' and left out the 'Redemption' title.

It would be helpful if TV series' could be given an ID number for EPG purposes - then a title change wouldn't affect our series links 🙂

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Donna35 wrote:
I missed the first 3 episodes before I found out it was back on Haha....I caught up using My5. Didn't realise I could view it in HD on VoD so thank you for that tip:-)'t affect our series links 🙂

When you're on the "play recording now" screen, scroll down to "related videos" and an option will be C5-HD on VoD. You could also change your SL settings to only include VoD, but you wouldn't get a recording that way.

@Donna35 wrote:
It would be helpful if TV series' could be given an ID number for EPG purposes - then a title change wouldn't affect our series links 🙂

That's exactly how series links work the vast majority of the time. If a new SL is setup as it is here, then it's either an error (which usually gets corrected once it's spotted) or is intentional.

Donna35
On our wavelength

You are indeed a mind of helpful information - very much appreciated 😊👍