cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin TV Guide wrong again

Donna35
On our wavelength

Hello,

I've found another fault with the TV guide - tonight it's listed the non celeb SAS Series 3 episode 4, first aired 28/01/18 instead of the current series: Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins, Series 3 episode 4 - my series link has picked up the 1am repeat on Friday which is labelled as 'New.' 

How is the EPG managed in the background and how can mistakes like this happen? Other TV listings appear to have got this right. I realise in the grand scheme of the problems we are all facing at the moment that this isn't a major one but it would be nice to get home from a long shift and find my favourite shows have been recorded correctly. 

Many thanks

Donna 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep, agreed. Comparing with the C4 website guide that looks like an EPG error. If you spot these a day or so in advance, you can email them to tivoguideerrors@virginmedia.co.uk - but the chances of it getting corrected for tonight are slim unless they're already aware in which case it should auto-correct.

As a workaround, this episode has several repeats on 4-Seven, so... go into your Series Link settings and change "channels" from being C4-specific to "all channels". This should record one of the midweek repeats, which is plenty time for the EPG error to be corrected if this is reported.

Or set a manual recording and/or pick the programme up from VoD in the meantime.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which channel & what time? I'd guess a C4 spin-off but a quick cursory check has drawn a blank.

VM's EPG does largely depend on the info provided by the broadcasters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Donna35
On our wavelength
Yes, Channel 4 HD at 21:00

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep, agreed. Comparing with the C4 website guide that looks like an EPG error. If you spot these a day or so in advance, you can email them to tivoguideerrors@virginmedia.co.uk - but the chances of it getting corrected for tonight are slim unless they're already aware in which case it should auto-correct.

As a workaround, this episode has several repeats on 4-Seven, so... go into your Series Link settings and change "channels" from being C4-specific to "all channels". This should record one of the midweek repeats, which is plenty time for the EPG error to be corrected if this is reported.

Or set a manual recording and/or pick the programme up from VoD in the meantime.

Donna35
On our wavelength
Thank you for the e-mail address for reporting EPG errors - much appreciated.
I've set Tivo to record tonight's episode at 21:00 as I'm assuming the new Celeb episode will still be aired despite the EPG error - Unless Virgin show the old episode whilst customers from Sky, Freeview etc are watching the new episode!? Haha...
Next Sunday's episode appears to be correct and the series link has picked it up.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your solution will work for as long as the episode you've set to record now, is what's still listed in the EPG when the time comes to record. If the EPG does change, then your planned recording may well fail with "no longer in guide" error. And if it's changed, it could be because the error is corrected - therefore the SL will work.

Or set a manual recording using Home > My Shows > Set Manual recording which will work regardless of what's in the EPG.

@Donna35 wrote:
Unless Virgin show the old episode whilst customers from Sky, Freeview etc are watching the new episode!? Haha...

No, the channel is the same regardless of which platform you're watching on. You're right about next weeks - that's how I spotted the midweek repeats on 4-Seven 😉

Donna35
On our wavelength

Ahhh....I've got ya 👍 

I'll set a manual recording for tonight - just in case. 

Thanks for your help 😁

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In another thread reporting the same issue, it looks like the TV360 guide has already been corrected for this error - so TiVo/V6 shouldn't be too far behind.

Check the timings of your network connections under Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network.

Once the EPG is updated, the first time your box connects afterwards, should load the corrected guide. This happens automatically every 6 hours, or you can force a manual connection anytime using "Connect to Virgin Media services now"

Donna35
On our wavelength
Thanks so much for the update on this. I've followed your instructions but my V6 hasn't been corrected as yet. I'll keep the manual recording in place just in case so I'll definitely be able to watch it after shift later 🙂

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Donna35

Thank you for your post regarding the Virgin TV guide being wrong, sorry to hear that your favourite shows have not been recording correctly because of this.

Please do keep us posted on how things go with your manual recording.

Kind regards,

Serena