Menu
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV Control - Subtitle Position

Good afternoon all

My partner is profoundly deaf and relies on subtitles for accessibility reasons.

Virgin Media are actually one of the best for their streaming content for this with subtitle support on the new TV Go app and support on the TV Remote app for content streamed from the V6 and downloaded content.

Apart from one slight problem on the TV Remote app:

The subtitles are smack dab on the middle of the screen when streamed/played from an iPad Air in landscape mode.

On the new TV Go app, subtitles are at the bottom as expected, it is just the TV Remote app. This was the case on TV Anywhere also so an ongoing bug.

Could someone be really nice and shift them down a bit to make good subtitle support into fantastic support?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Josh_RW
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV Control - Subtitle Position

Hi StopItRawr,

Thanks for posting!

I'm really sorry for the subtitles issues.

This is a known issue and our team are working to get it resolved as soon as possible. When we get an update on this we'll let the Community know.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Josh_RW wrote:

Hi StopItRawr,

Thanks for posting!

This is a known issue and our team are working to get it resolved as soon as possible. When we get an update on this we'll let the Community know.

All the best

Josh

Thank you.

I wish to ask that you pass along the line that the fact this is an accessibility issue would mean hopefully it can be treated with priority.

Subtitles are not a "nice to have" for those with hearing loss and while it sounds minor, subtitling positioning make a huge difference, especially when the subtitles help with what's being said while blocking the people saying them!

StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Josh_RW wrote:

Hi StopItRawr,

Thanks for posting!

All the best

Josh

Any updates? Even if nothing to update?

I don't want this really filed under the "We'll get round to it when we feel like it" category by those responsible, so any pressure you can apply will be welcomed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi StopItRawr,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

There is still no update on this at the moment other than the team are still working to get it resolved as soon as possible. We're aware of how frustrating this is, especially for those dependent on subtitles. 

We'll update as soon as we hear news of progress.

All the best

Josh

StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, hopefully there will be progress soon.

I will ask to note that on my new Galaxy S8, the Subtitles are on the top, rather than the centre of the screen in landscape mode. It seems like different devices may have different subtitle positions.

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

Hi StopItRawr,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

There is still no update on this at the moment other than the team are still working to get it resolved as soon as possible. We're aware of how frustrating this is, especially for those dependent on subtitles. 

We'll update as soon as we hear news of progress.

All the best

Josh

Could you provide an update on this?

Testing this week shows subtitle position in the same place, so no progress seen so far.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi StopItRawr,

I apologise again for the trouble this has caused you.

Still no updates on this other than the team are still actively investigating this. I'm keeping an eye out for news on this fault and will report as soon as I can.

All the best

Josh

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

Hi StopItRawr,

I apologise again for the trouble this has caused you.

Still no updates on this other than the team are still actively investigating this. I'm keeping an eye out for news on this fault and will report as soon as I can.

All the best

Josh

Thanks.

I hope you can appreciate this isn't something I'm going to forget about! Our devices in our home utilise subtitles on an ongoing basis, so the lack of, or badly implemented subtitles leaves its mark, and thus feel free to report up that again, this isn't a nice to have, but an essential lifeline for those who rely on them to enjoy what others take for granted.

MikeyC4
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Four months on, and my subtitles are still halfway up the screen, obscuring the actual image. 

Are the team still ‘actively investigating’ this, or did it get forgotten about?

0 Kudos