cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Have you checked if it's 24p or 30p that we're getting if p.is deselected? 24 would be horrible but 30 tolerable as mentioned above by StopitRawr
----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Video at 24fps would never be displayed by any TV, nor 30fps. What a modern (from about 2007) TV typically does is to refresh at a rate which is a multiple of 24 such as 120Hz (for LCDs as I think that plasmas work at a lower rate).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@crypticc wrote:
Have you checked if it's 24p or 30p that we're getting if p.is deselected? 24 would be horrible but 30 tolerable as mentioned above by StopitRawr

Nope, it's much worse.

When I deselected all P resolutions, put a HD channel on, got 1080i passthrough then went back and enabled the P resolutions, the 1080i stayed working for broadcast TV.

Still means it upscales SD content but hey.

For Youtube, it was much, much worse.

For when I deselected all P resolutions, rather than pass-through 2160P30 for 4K60 content, it changed it to 1080i50 instead. So not only still a stutter mess, but downscaled too.

The V6 should not be trusted with any scaling, ever. Please just pass-through the resolutions needed and someone please patch in 2160P60 and 1080P60, for those who watch 60FPS content on Youtube. The V6 chip will support it so long as it is HDMI 2.0 compliant.

Edit: Accidental typo!

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Video at 24fps would never be displayed by any TV, nor 30fps. What a modern (from about 2007) TV typically does is to refresh at a rate which is a multiple of 24 such as 120Hz (for LCDs as I think that plasmas work at a lower rate).

The difference between a TV correctly processing a 24hz signal internally, and a 24hz signal being changed by the V6 to 60hz then the TV trying to make sense of it is massive though.

All modern TVs have a cinema 24p mode for films. If I put a Blu-Ray on, my signal input is correctly displayed at 1080p24 on my TV . If the V6 mangles this, it creates an insane amount of judder. Thankfully the V6 DOES pass-through 24p content correctly such as Netflix content.

Broadcast TV is 1080i50, but the broadcasters sort the whole 24-50hz thing themselves, hence the non juddery mess.

@StopItRawr wrote:

@crypticc wrote:

Nope, it's much worse.

When I deselected all P resolutions, put a HD channel on, got 1080i passthrough then went back and enabled the P resolutions, the 1080i stayed working for broadcast TV.

Still means it upscales SD content but hey.

For Youtube, it was much, much worse.

For when I deselected all P resolutions, rather than pass-through 2160P30 for 4K60 content, it changed it to 1080i50 instead. So not only still a stutter mess, but downscaled too.

The V6 should not be trusted with any scaling, ever. Please just pass-through the resolutions needed and someone please patch in 2160P60 and 1080P60, for those who watch 60FPS content on Youtube. The V6 chip will support it so long as it is HDMI 2.0 compliant.

The V6 is HDCP 2.2 compliant, and for implementation over HDMI it must be 2.0 or higher. The V6 supports HDMI 2.0a.

As HDCP 2.2 is essentially about 4K copy protection, we are talking about high-end TVs, so why not just pass through the content such as 2160p60 for the TV to handle? It's ridiculous for the V6 to force a conversion from 2160p60 to 2160p50.

--

Basically "native" and "hybrid" mode were broken battery 2010 and 2011 and the same bug brought into the v6 firmware
----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

@crypticc wrote:
Basically "native" and "hybrid" mode were broken battery 2010 and 2011 and the same bug brought into the v6 firmware

...indeed - can't believe this bug is STILL present. Smiley Sad Its as if VM have no idea what any of this thread is about and simply don't even know what this bug actually is?!

Virgin Media's owner Liberty Global has an agreement with TiVo to supply the V6. You have to wonder who is responsible for authorising specification changes to the V6 and how competent TiVo is at making the changes..

--

Incompetence and Ineptness must be, or who ever the dept is can not fix it or wont and are leaving it, they dont bother updating this bug/fix and if they did it would just be a forum minder with drivle,this has been brought to VM attention a long time ago hence they cant fix it or wont.

There must be someone we can contact for an answer.

Someone technical who knows about these things. There must be a proper technical department that we could work with to resolve this issue. Come on VM rise to the challange. ( just try reading these comments first!)