cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Assuming your TV can do that. Yes .

Just won't work for Netflix and YouTube. 

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

@deans6571 wrote:

@crypticc wrote:

Hello 

Short answer is that I was about to say you cannot do that.  But on your question caused me to re-test and stop the press - And by golly they've fixed it!  (nearly - limitation with Netflix won't switch resolution.  But it does switch framerate making UK Tivo one of the few devices to do that - I'm much happier, no, delighted!).

This makes the Tivo one of the very few devices to switch framerates properly on Netflix, although I am sure someone will now start looking at colour space switching etc.

To achieve this you have to tick every option. 

Someone sticky this news please.  It is significant.

2160p

2160 passthrough

1080p

1080 passthrough

720p

576i

576p

Leave one out and it won't work.

Longer answer

Before

If you pick 2160p, 2160 passthrough and 1080p and 1080 passthrough the Tivo will upscale and de-interlace and hack framerates upto 50 Hz/1080p even if you've also picked 576i which is the SD resolution.  Also, before, if you picked 720p as well then that trumped everything and you always got that (even on 4k content)

Crikey - I thought they'd never fix this.

Now

Beautiful 4k, 1080p, 1080 passthrough, and wait for it SD 576i for appropriate content.

Any downside?

Your screen will pause re-sync frame rates and resolution while changing resolutions.  Also because the The GUI/menu can only do upto 1080 if you're watching 4k content and then select menu the screen will also do that re-sync while you goto the menu and then resync again when going back to whatever resolution you're watching.  If you only ever watch HD and SD the resync is only when switching channels.

Basically Virgin TiVo finally got someone who knew how the resolution and framerates switching was supposed to work.

If you 

My settings were also previously set to 2160p, 2160p Passthrough, 1080p Passthrough  and 1080i. My TV would only pause (the 1 second black screen thing) when switching from HD to an UHD channel.

Are you saying that I should now choose ALL the items in the Menu? 

For the record, my V6 now has the following firmware :

374FFEB9-E949-4766-935F-79BC3BA55533.jpeg

...what about the 1080i option - does this also need to be selected?!

In your above ost, you're saying to tick ALL of these options:

2160p

2160 passthrough

1080p

1080 passthrough

720p

576i

576p

BUT - you've left out the 1080i option....

So, the options are:

2160p

2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through)

1080p

1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through)

1080i

720p

576p

So you're saying to now tick ALL of these (I don't use Netflix/YouTube via the V6 - I use my native TV apps)?

@deans6571 wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@crypticc wrote:

Hello 

Short answer is that I was about to say you cannot do that.  But on your question caused me to re-test and stop the press - And by golly they've fixed it!  (nearly - limitation with Netflix won't switch resolution.  But it does switch framerate making UK Tivo one of the few devices to do that - I'm much happier, no, delighted!).

This makes the Tivo one of the very few devices to switch framerates properly on Netflix, although I am sure someone will now start looking at colour space switching etc.

To achieve this you have to tick every option. 

Someone sticky this news please.  It is significant.

2160p

2160 passthrough

1080p

1080 passthrough

720p

576i

576p

Leave one out and it won't work.

Longer answer

Before

If you pick 2160p, 2160 passthrough and 1080p and 1080 passthrough the Tivo will upscale and de-interlace and hack framerates upto 50 Hz/1080p even if you've also picked 576i which is the SD resolution.  Also, before, if you picked 720p as well then that trumped everything and you always got that (even on 4k content)

Crikey - I thought they'd never fix this.

Now

Beautiful 4k, 1080p, 1080 passthrough, and wait for it SD 576i for appropriate content.

Any downside?

Your screen will pause re-sync frame rates and resolution while changing resolutions.  Also because the The GUI/menu can only do upto 1080 if you're watching 4k content and then select menu the screen will also do that re-sync while you goto the menu and then resync again when going back to whatever resolution you're watching.  If you only ever watch HD and SD the resync is only when switching channels.

Basically Virgin TiVo finally got someone who knew how the resolution and framerates switching was supposed to work.

If you 

My settings were also previously set to 2160p, 2160p Passthrough, 1080p Passthrough  and 1080i. My TV would only pause (the 1 second black screen thing) when switching from HD to an UHD channel.

Are you saying that I should now choose ALL the items in the Menu? 

For the record, my V6 now has the following firmware :

374FFEB9-E949-4766-935F-79BC3BA55533.jpeg

...what about the 1080i option - does this also need to be selected?!

In your above ost, you're saying to tick ALL of these options:

2160p

2160 passthrough

1080p

1080 passthrough

720p

576i

576p

BUT - you've left out the 1080i option....

So, the options are:

2160p

2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through)

1080p

1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through)

1080i

720p

576p

So you're saying to now tick ALL of these (I don't use Netflix/YouTube via the V6 - I use my native TV apps)?

...just to add - if we want the TV to do all the scaling, we tick ALL the options, yes?! 

Nando010
On our wavelength

Nando.

Which software / firmware do you have on the TiVo? It shouldn't do that. I have E6 and HD and SD of course both fine. 

Chris

Hi Chris, ok I've changed lead again and now I can have them all ticked. So if I want my C8 to do all the work I have to tick all the outputs.Is that right?

Thanks again.

@Nando010 wrote:

Nando.

Which software / firmware do you have on the TiVo? It shouldn't do that. I have E6 and HD and SD of course both fine. 

Chris

Hi Chris, ok I've changed lead again and now I can have them all ticked. So if I want my C8 to do all the work I have to tick all the outputs.Is that right?

Thanks again.

If you want the V6 to scale then No, you don’t tick all the options. I think if you do that then the TV will scale everything. 

C8 is his tele

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

There seems to be an issue when selecting ALL the formats in Video Output Settings in that when viewing a Standard Definition channel, the Guide and Mini Guide are ALSO shown in Standard Definition which makes them look horrible and pixelated. 

This issue is NOT present when i revert to my previous settings like those I posted in my previous posts above  

I’m not sure I’m happy viewing the Guide in SD when on an SD channel - it looks horrible.....

@deans6571 wrote:

I’m not sure I’m happy viewing the Guide in SD when on an SD channel - it looks horrible.....

I agree, but unfortunately that's bound to go with the territory. If you output an SD 576i picture (if you want the TV to do the SD > 4K upscaling) then you can't expect the overlaid menus from the same source to look like HD. It's either/or I'm afraid.

Andre

I've never found a use for 576p as nothing is broadcast or streamed at this resolution, and 720p is only for Home and its menus. I believe that BBC iPlayer's HD is 720p25 and so isn't passed through as 720p means 720p50.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I've never found a use for 576p as nothing is broadcast or streamed at this resolution, and 720p is only for Home and its menus. I believe that BBC iPlayer's HD is 720p25 and so isn't passed through as 720p means 720p50.

...so bearing that in mind - should we be ticking ALL the options above 720 then (including ticking the 720 option) if nothing is broadcast in 576p (and selecting these options - is the TV doing the scaling or the V6?) ?