cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@shawty1984 wrote:

1280 x 720 is the resolution of 720p which is HD not SD. 

...that's fine then, I'm not disputing what you are saying. 

Can you go one step further and clarify why, my TV displays  1280x720/50p on HD channels when I have the 720p and 1080i options selected? Why does it not display 1280x1080/50i (which it does display when I untick the 720p option)?  Surely having 720p and 1080i ticked, it should display the best option between the 2 (i.e. the 1080i resolution)?

@deans6571 wrote:

@shawty1984 wrote:

1280 x 720 is the resolution of 720p which is HD not SD. 

...that's fine then, I'm not disputing what you are saying. 

Can you go one step further and clarify why, my TV displays  1280x720/50p on HD channels when I have the 720p and 1080i options selected? Why does it not display 1280x1080/50i (which it does display when I untick the 720p option)?  Surely having 720p and 1080i ticked, it should display the best option between the 2 (i.e. the 1080i resolution)?

...this is indeed a bug as described here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-scaling-bug/td-p/3251103/page/2

....by scruffer04 whereby "Native" mode (ie selecting all) does not pass through straight, HD content  is scaled at 720p not 1080. As soon as 720p is ticked, this is the default resolution even if 1080 and 2160 are also ticked.

Would you guys suggest on the Video Output Formats page on V6, just ticking 1080i on my 4k tv because i want my tv to do the upscaling,i do not watch any 4k from Virgin thanks.

@deans6571 wrote:

As soon as 720p is ticked, this is the default resolution even if 1080 and 2160 are also ticked.

From my testing with the V6 box today, it would seem that it's not just 720p downscaling that's the problem. The box will output always the lowest "HD" mode selected, whatever is playing, so yes if I have 720p ticked in addition to other modes, I ONLY get 720p output, even when watching BBCHD (for example, which should be 1080i), but also when using the iPlayer app and watching the new 4K HDR trial video. Similarly, if I DON'T tick 720p, but still have 1080i ticked, I get 1080i for BBCHD, but also 1080i for BBC iPlayer 4K HDR trial. The only way to get 4K is to force 4K mode all the time, and even then I'm not convinced that 4K trial is really playing a 4K resolution image (the TV's built in YouTube app playing 4K content looks WAY sharper up close).

Is it too much to ask the VM could fix the firmware to allow the box to pass through the video in its native format and allow our expensive TVs to do the scaling that they're probably MUCH better at (leaving aside the fact that there's no hope of any HLG or any other such data getting passed through to the TV if the V6 box insists on passing everything through its scaler).

Any news?

As anap said,waiting on info/update...

Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello anap and lempsky,

I can see there have been many suggestions on this thread, have any of these helped?

Because this thread goes back to January I'd just like to know which box do you both have now the TiVo® or the V6?

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

None of the suggestions on here can resolve the basic issue that there's clearly a firmware bug with both the TiVo and V6 boxes, that results in video output selection being ignored and content being downscaled to the lowest common denominator.

Rose b V6 BOX Rose V6 BOX, 

V6 box