cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@deans6571 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@Nando010 wrote:

How do you check fps?

Check your TV remote control instructions, there should be a way to get your TV to display the fps input to it. That's how it works with the Panasonic and Samsung TVs I've seen.

I’m not sure Samsung TVs are able to display FPS. Pressing ‘Info’ on the remote only display resolution information - it doesn’t display FPS information.....

My recollection is that presing Home followed by Source will cause the resolution and fps to be displayed for a few seconds.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

In reference to Psn1976 saying this, I'd just like to correct that a HD ready TV cannot display 1080i. Just to clear up something. 

"Each 1 of the combinations is for the different types of tv displays so it's up to people to decide how to apply the available outputs whether their tv can only display 720p1080i they only have a hd ready tv"

Dean, you posted the below quote and while you have mentioned viewing distance the quote below is wrong. Its screen size in relation to viewing distance that matters. Screen size alone doesn't make it difficult. The difference between 1080 and 4k is the same at 20 inch as it is at 50 inch, it just depends on the viewing distance.

"Firstly, if you have a TV screen size of less than about 55" - then its VERY difficult to see the differences between HD vs 4K content. There is a larger jump in differences between SD vs HD than HD vs 4K."

In reply to Psn1976

"Yes it says that with just 2160p it allows the v6 to show ultra hd broadcasts at their 50fps which is the BT ultimate channel and also the ultra hd channel on 228/999 which starts just after 7pm each evening and runs till just before midnight where as if you allow 2160p passthrough so your tv does the scaling then it gets capped at 30fps hence the passthrough numbers 24/25/30"

If I remember correctly, the passthrough options aren't to allow the TV to do the scaling but to pass through the correct settings for apps. 

So what I understand and after I've done some more testing, from what I've managed to work out

2160p ( & 2160p passthrough ) seems about the best set up for my 4k tv

It's only about scaling not upscaling as their is a clear mention of this on the video output menu when you press the info button

Personally it seems as though alot of the hd channels shows programmes, sport and movies appear to be running alot clearer and smooth at 90hz using the motion smoothing trumotion at 5 so I guess these are closer to 30fps 

Because I have passthrough enabled that is the maximum amount show will be passed through at 30fps

My panel is 60 hz  (+ 30 hz from trumotion) It's a smooth 90hz for probably 90% of the shows,sports & movies I watch

Any pal at 25fps turning trumotion off should activate the recieved 25fps being sent through from the set top box

Trumotion motion smoother is actually the UPSCALER also so having it on 5 makes nearly everything alot smoother 90 fps 

Having it on 10 makes the image crystal CLEAR but from going from 90-120hz adds another ratio of 30hz so it's 4 ratios of 30fps at 120hz trumotion 10

instead of just 3 ratios of 30fps at 90hz trumotion 5 😀 if it was originally  a 59+fps broadcast I believe it would only show 1 fake frame for every 2 real ones so actually a 2.1 ratio lol ?

2160p & 2160p passthrough 

Tvs TRUMOTION - DEJUDDER setting on 5 90FPS  visual enhancer (possibly like a cpu graphics card)

Super smooth and crystal clear HD at 90fps on most content which I watch

If it's a uk pal signal it's best to turn off Trumotion dejudder if it looks wrong but I just have this on standard preset for dejudder off buts not often as it appears most content is at 30fps were I have cinema sports preset with dejudder 5

TruMotion is not the upscaler. 

@shawty1984 wrote:

In reply to Psn1976

"Yes it says that with just 2160p it allows the v6 to show ultra hd broadcasts at their 50fps which is the BT ultimate channel and also the ultra hd channel on 228/999 which starts just after 7pm each evening and runs till just before midnight where as if you allow 2160p passthrough so your tv does the scaling then it gets capped at 30fps hence the passthrough numbers 24/25/30"

If I remember correctly, the passthrough options aren't to allow the TV to do the scaling but to pass through the correct settings for apps. 

Pass-through means that the video and audio are not altered by the V6, so what comes in is the same as what goes out via the HDMI cable. Here is what I believe to be the effect of the output settings (values in brackets being what are passed through from the V6).

• 576i (576i50)
  • 576p (576p25)
  • 720p (720p50)
  • 1080i (1080i50)
  • 1080p (1080p50)
  • 1080p 24/25/30fps pass-through (1080p23.976, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30)
  • 2160p (2160p50)
  • 2160p 24/25/30fps pass-through (2160p23.976, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p30)

Any corrrections welcome.

--

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@Nando010 wrote:

How do you check fps?

Check your TV remote control instructions, there should be a way to get your TV to display the fps input to it. That's how it works with the Panasonic and Samsung TVs I've seen.

I’m not sure Samsung TVs are able to display FPS. Pressing ‘Info’ on the remote only display resolution information - it doesn’t display FPS information.....

My recollection is that presing Home followed by Source will cause the resolution and fps to be displayed for a few seconds.

...sorry, are you saying to press Home and then Info or Home on the V6 remote and then the source button on the TV remote?

@shawty1984 wrote:

Dean, you posted the below quote and while you have mentioned viewing distance the quote below is wrong. Its screen size in relation to viewing distance that matters. Screen size alone doesn't make it difficult. The difference between 1080 and 4k is the same at 20 inch as it is at 50 inch, it just depends on the viewing distance.

"Firstly, if you have a TV screen size of less than about 55" - then its VERY difficult to see the differences between HD vs 4K content. There is a larger jump in differences between SD vs HD than HD vs 4K."

...yea, sorry, you're correct - I mistakenly left that part out. 😑

@deans6571 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@deans6571 wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@Nando010 wrote:

How do you check fps?

...sorry, are you saying to press Home and then Info or Home on the V6 remote and then the source button on the TV remote?

All done on the Samsung remote. Haven't you tried it?

--